Gasoline in oil, B&S 15.5hp

Hi,

I have a problem with my riding mower, it is a craftsman 42" cut, 15.5 I/C OHV Briggs and Stratton engine. It is about 7 years old and has been quite reliable, having replaced only the battery once or twice. Whats been happening lately is the oil case has been filling up past the full mark with gasoline, then from time to time it stops running while mowing my yard. If allowed to cool off it will start up again after 30 minutes or so then I just put it away in the garage. I just changed the oil last week and cut the whole lawn without interruption, it runs like new when the oil is fresh. So I think the main problem is the oil gets contaminated with gas, and the question is what needs to be replaced or fixed to solve this problem? And, where can I get a good deal on parts if that is part of the solution?

Thank you in advance. Fish.

Reply to
fish

Carbueretor---you're dumping raw gas straight on through the intake in large quantities to fill the crankcase. Possibly a good cleaning, most likely a rebuild.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sounds good, where can i get the parts for the rebuild. If I take it apart I may as well rebuild for a few bucks. Is this good logic?

Fish

Reply to
fish

If there is not one already, install a cutoff in the fuel line. Close it when the engine is not being used. If you detect gasoline in the oil or the oil level is higher than normal, change the oil before starting the engine. Any mower or small engine shop would have or be able to get the carburetor parts. The Briggs and Stratton website should have operating manual and parts list for your engine. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Excellent advice from DY and DB, thank you. I will be on my way to the parts store this weekend. Where can I find a good cut off valve for the fuel line?

Also, is there a standard carburetor rebuild kit for this engine type? Will the guys at the parts counter of my nearest B&S repair shop know exactly what parts I need for the rebuild?

Thanks, Fish

Reply to
fish

Fish,

You'll need to know which carb you have, there are lots of them. Remove the carb and bring it to the parts store so they can read the numbers.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It is the float sticking and not closing or dirt in the jet that the float is supposed to close once the bowl is full. No fuel filter can allow dirt in and cause this.

Reply to
m Ransley

Varnish buildup can also keep the jet from closing as well ...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Never run your mower if gas is in the oil , oil will be degraded so severly that major engine wear will occur fast. You will need to change you oil twice to remove all the bad gas degraded oil. My friend had a float so bad it filled the engine with gas even the cilinder was full of gas.

Reply to
m Ransley

I looked at the carb tonight, is there any way to tell the difference by visually inspection as the carb is installed on the engine?

Reply to
fish

why not put an inline fuel shutoff between the tank and carb...AND USE IT!!!.

Reply to
ds549

I got a Walbro. Using diagrams supplied somewhere online I was able to id it. the serial numbers also indicate walbro design.

thx

Reply to
fish

brilliant! I think I will!!!!

thx

Reply to
fish

I see no-one answered you question of where to get one. I got mine at NAPA auto parts (That was a result of having the same problem - it was a sticking float). They only need to know the fuel line size. Be sure to install it in a convenient to reach location and -remember- to use it. I can just barely reach mine from the seat.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

thx, I got one today too, at napa. so i will install this weekend or next. i got the inline cut off that is black, with a red turn knob. it was more than $4, I thought it might be like 1.5 dollars, oh well it will get the job done.

Reply to
fish