Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Worse? Let me guess: Create more poverty, and thus more unrest?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Of course it would, although to what degree I suppose is open to some debate. China is going to buy the oil no matter what, but if we were able to buy less ME oil (or use less or use our own NEW sources) then the supply/demand curve obviously changes and the price goes down either in real terms or in what it would have been had we stayed at the tap.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

A distinct possibility considering that the ME has no significant economy other than oil.

Reply to
Pete C.

Based on everything I've read, much of the unrest in Saudi Arabia, for instance, is *already* due to the gross inequities between the royals and everyone else. This is why the royal family continues to support schools whose teachers instruct students that WE are the reason for their miserable lives.

We should've fulfilled their fantasies and put THEIR country under new management, instead of Iraq. But, that would've required balls.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not a valid option as there is no vehicle I'm aware of that gets 35% better MPG than a typical SUV and still has the same real advantages of the SUV. Just because you don't believe someone else needs the capabilities of an SUV does not in any way make those capabilities imaginary.

There are other ways to make a more significant improvement without any change in vehicles. A substantial amount of our vehicle use is in unnecessary commuting and solo commuting. The current fuel prices are already improving the situation by triggering more carpooling and more telecommuting.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just shows you what pussies the so-called "arms control experts are."

Even I can think of a way to deal with "rogue states."

Reply to
HeyBub

So if we remove their source of revenue so there isn't any for them to trickle down to the impoverished masses, this will make the situation better? They'll just point the finger at us yet again and their ignorant masses will mindlessly believe it again. If their masses weren't so mindless they might figure out that they need to overthrow their oppressors.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah, I'm sure you can think of a way, and it gives you a hard-on. Too bad your way doesn't involve a brain.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Heh! Adam Smith postulated the concept in the late 18th Century. You, evidently, are the only person in 230 years to disagree with the idea.

Reply to
HeyBub

The whole attempt to link nuclear power and nuclear weapons is just a scam from the paranoid and ignorant anti nuke groups. Nuclear power and nuclear weapons have almost nothing to do with each other besides "nuclear" in the name. Nonsense kind of like trying to link Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging (a.k.a. MRI) and nuclear weapons.

Reply to
Pete C.

So, you would deny ME the ability to send money to some country because you don't like what some citizens of that country did?

The French have a word for policy, but I don't know what it is.

Reply to
HeyBub

You should be outraged! MORE drinking! Doesn't that offend your sensibilities of what's good for people?

There's another concept called the "Tragedy of the Commons" that's an exception to unfettered personal actions. You're attempting to expand that concept to all human actions.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hi, Also cars/trucks are now getting LED lights; tail lights, signal lights, etc. They are 1/20 seconds faster turning on. This split second difference could lessen traffic accident.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Weak, in exactly what way? Some people get enjoyment driving over to Disneyland and going on the rides. Some get enjoyment taking a jet to Florida, renting a car, and driving around on vacation. And some get enjoyment and in many cases actually use/convenience benefits by driving an SUV instead of a different vehicle. All use energy. Yet you choose to only condemn one.

And as usually, you are pathetically weak at even explaining yourself.

Reply to
trader4

Hi, That guy must be joking! Or he is a part of problem, not solution.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Another advantage is the fact that the LED life expectancy exceeds the length of time the average person keeps a car, which helps insure they are actually working since few people check their lights regularly.

Reply to
Pete C.

My kid's 4 cylinder 1996 Camry wagon gets 35% better gas mileage than the typical 6 or 8 cylinder SUV. How about offering the car makers some sort of incentive for bringing back wagons? There *is* a demand for them. He's found

3 notes stuck under his windshield wiper from people wondering if he wanted to sell the car. These vehicles satisfy one of the needs fulfilled by SUVs: Carrying lots of stuff without crowding the passengers.

The glut of SUVs in used car lots would seem to contradict how well they fulfilled the needs of their prior owners. For instance, SUVs are *not* better in winter weather for the vast majority of drivers who never go off road. They're often sold with off-road tires that are hideous in snow. Safety in accidents? Not really. Rollover accidents are more deadly than other types. According to the NY State Police, they see more fatalities with SUVs in highway accidents where another vehicle wasn't directly involved with the impact. Why? Upside down in the median.

There's a limit to how much of that can take place. Twice a week, I pass by a park & ride lot. It's as empty as it's been for many years.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sure. But since oil is fungible, how can you reasonably do it?

Reply to
HeyBub

Do you think car makers would've dealt with emissions without having the screws put to them?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hmmm, I can see there are many many idiots in America down on from president, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang