Gluing aluminum to glass

Lousy!

Reply to
salty

This subject may be too complicated for you. Maybe you should wait until something simpler comes along. ;)

Reply to
salty

Gluing aluminum to glass is complicated...? I don't think so. I was kind of hoping that you would ask me the question about working on boats and my experience, but you didn't. Playing favorites I guess. :)~

I'm of the opinion that if it says 3M on the package, it's good stuff. You stated, unequivocally, that silicone is a lousy adhesive. What about 3M Marine Grade Silicone Sealant do you not like for the OP's application?

RicodJour

The OP has already unsuccessfully bonded these two pieces of a shower for a client. Saying 3M on tha package is a good start, but 3M makes an awful lot of products because they know that one size does not fit all. A good craftsman knows his tools. What I don't like about 3M marine grade silicone sealant for the OP's application is that Silicone is a very weak adhesive. It is really more of a filler for bedding hardware, with enough adhesive properties to make a fairly good seal. It's not intended to bond things together in a structural sense, which is what is required for the OP's application.

Reply to
salty

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

The "kit" that stuff is sold in cost $2+ to hold about one square inch of material to your windshield.

If you have a "soft setting" epoxy, that might work about as well as the well cured silicone RTV stuff.

Reply to
John Gilmer

The silicone used for aquariums is specially formulated for that task. Regular silicone will kill the fish

Reply to
salty

the silicone used for aquariums is identical to that sold for caulking minus the mildewicides.

Reply to
charlie

That sounds like "special" to me.

Reply to
salty

Zz Yzx

On 7/25/2009 7:45 AM Zz Yzx spake thus:

Sorry, not even close.

I notice that links to this site come up often when questions of what glue to use to glue X to Y are raised. But it's just not a very good web site.

Pity; you'd think a site called "This to That" would be a valuable resource to answer such questions. But I'd say it's like a Reader's Digest of this kind of information, meaning most of what's there is very common knowledge with little depth. A lot of it falls into the "Duh!" category.

This is their answer to what to use to glue metal to glass:

Metal to Glass For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If appearance isn't much of a concern, try:

J-B Weld

Maybe you are gluing a rear view mirror.

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Whenever you are gluing metal it's a good idea to clean it first with steel wool or sandpaper. (Rust never sleeps.)

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

Notice there's no mention of silicone adhesives, nor of the problems with different rates of expansion in gluing these materials.

Not very useful. Sorry.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl