Gazebo/deck footing question

Hello all,

I am planning to build a deck and put a gazebo on top. The deck will be approximately the size of the gazebo footprint.

On four corners of the deck, there will be concrete footings for the four posts of the gazebo.

1- Should the post directly attach to the concrete footings?

2- Or can I have the 2"x6" treated boards cover the top of the footing, and put the posts then? The anchoring hardware then will go through the wood first. I am not sure how resilient this anchoring will be over time.

Cosmetically the second alternative is appealing.

Thanks!

Deguza P.S.: If it matters, I live in San Jose, California. During the winter, there is no freeze here. Warm dry summers, rain during the winter and spring (getting less and less these years, unfortunately.)

Reply to
Deguza

And it does freeze in San Jose, overnight, at least one night in January. I've seen it as low as 25F overnight in the southern reaches.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Hello Scott,

I should have said the ground does not freeze.

Thanks for the links to the Simpson post bases. I bought a gazebo kit

and the posts came with what they term "post mounts."

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

If you are pouring new footings, I'd use the Simpson bases that extend into the footing while it is being poured rather than the post mounts that come with the gazebo kit. It does get windy at times in SJ.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Is wind an issue?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It is not as bad as it is in the southern U .S., but it could get strong. I looked at the statistics here:

I am interpreting the data correctly, we could get 30 mph gusts sometimes. (Second graph.)

A graph here has more info:

It shows gusts reaching almost 50 mph in 2021. In 2006, I spotted a wind speed of 85 mph one day...

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

Consider & research all sources of advice -

- then run it by your local building inspector before you draw-up your application for building permit and before you buy materials. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Do people actually _ read _ anymore ... ? Crikey - read learn evolve .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

For what it's worth, I was asking Pthirus Pubis where "here" is, not the OP.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson