4x4 deck braces in dirt no footing. Sugestions?

4x4 deck braces in dirt no footing. Sugestions?

Just bought a home that has a "new" deck on the back. The deck has started to lean away from the house, so I planed in lifting it and re-secure the footings, simple right?

I poked around with a screw driver before I started, and it Seems that there are not any existing footings, I guess there just in the dirt. . . so this is my question, I don't have a lot of experience, I was going to dig down to the bottom of the 4x4. Then lift it a bit, and put (what are those cardboard tubes called) around the leg, and fill with quick creat. And call it a day. But since this 4x4 has been in the dirt for a while, do I need to "fool" with it or treat it or do anything to it, to prevent more work in the future? Should I go about this differently? Any good places I can go and read? Or web sights worth checking out.

Thanks,

Reply to
Evan

What I would do in this situation, (since I have already had just this same situation before) is to plan on replacing the wooden posts since the bottom has probably started to rot.

But your idea of using the Redi-Form and filling it quick-crete is the right approach.

You may need to use a temporary post to support the deck while you are pouring the footing and placing the new post (or old post, whichever you find the best option)

You are being very smart to go ahead and fix this problem now, because it won't be long before the entire deck comes crashing down.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

I had a similiar problem with my mother's porch. I made a pretty good temporary fix by jacking the porch up and laying a pair of 4x8x16 blocks on each side of each post, then bolting a pair of 2x4s to the 4x4 to transfer the weight to the concrete. Not an ideal or forever solution but still should last many years and was easy & fast to do.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Pretty close, but:

plan on having those cardboard tubes(Usually called Sonotubes, regardless of who makes 'em) stick up enough so that you can make the top of the footing be a couple of inches above the ground level.

If you're where things go below freezing in the winter, take the trouble do the job right and dig the holes deep enough to get the bottom of the concrete below the "frost line" for your area.

Obviously you'll cut off the existing 4x4 posts at the right height to suit your newly made concrete footings. A chain saw would be handy for that, huh?

Go to the building supply store and get some steel post footing brackets. They're cheap enough, and will keep the bottom of the posts about an inch off the concrete so theym will be less likely to start rotting there. You can secure those metal brackets to the concrete by plopping a lag bolt through a bracket hole before the concrete sets, so the posts won't skid sideways if some fat bastard gets drunk and stumbles into one. Makes for a much more "pro" look to the job too.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Some good suggestions.

You might also check:

I think I've seen some pertinent amswers there.

Marty

Reply to
Martin

Evan, From what you have described it sounds like your deck was constructed by an amateur, most likely without a permit. Do yourself a favor and let a professional inspect the deck and recommend any needed repairs. An improperly constructed deck can collapse and cause serious injury or death. How high above the ground is the deck? How is the deck attached to the house? Is it nailed or is it attached using lag bolts? (Guess which is wrong and which is correct.) Good luck.

Reply to
Bruce

If it were me I would temporarily support the deck, (make sure you lock the access door out onto the deck), remove the existing 4x4, dig the whole for the tube to the correct depth, pour concrete, and add a deck footing bracket to keep the 4x4 support off the concrete. Check this out:

of info here:

just me

I missed the original post and any responses. Did anyone mention pre-cast concrete 4x4 footings? I think the big boxes carry those, too. Dunno if code allows them to be used to support an entire deck, but they're more convenient than mixing concrete.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

If Evan wanted a professional, he wouldn't be posting here looking for advice on how to do it himself. Most likely a "professional" will overcharge you and maybe not even do as good a job as yourself from what you learned in the forum. Just speaking from experience.

Reply to
wdgreene

Its always a good ideal to complain about replies to a post from 18 years ago since the project may be still in the works.

I see your point that a pro is not always the best way, but I've seen some hack jobs that a pro would not allow to happen. There is a reason codes exist and they should be followed.

There are more DIY hacks that overcharging pros.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski