Gas fire place difficult to light

I have a gas fire place that is operated by a switch (light switch). It worked fine until last year. I have the pilot lit, and when I turn on my switch, nothing happens. I have to open up the lower louver and hit the red ignitor switch a few times. Last year, I only had to do this the first time after turning my pilot back on. So far this year, I have had to do it every time. Is this a simple fix, or do I need a fixit guy?

Thanks

Reply to
dave

Bad thermocouple, I'd guess.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

First thing to do would be to clean the pilot burner. Basic style fireplaces use a powerpile generator to create millivoltage to power the control circuit. A low pilot flame can result in low power to the control resulting in intermittent opening or complete failure to open.

Reply to
jolt

I replaced a switch this year in a house we sold. I could "rock" the switch with a little pressure and get the fire place to light. It may be as simple as changing the switch or checking the wires to the switch.

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
tipper812

Dave: I bet the Ignitor-Flame Rod assembly has seen its days. I have a gas fireplace also and the ignitor has got to be replaced every few years. They can be ordered at arnoldservice.com. Cost plus shipping is about $47.00. It's best to have a spare on hand. You will need to know what the gas valve is before ordering it.

Gary

Reply to
tipper812

Hmmm, Didn't he say pilot is lit?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not only is the pilotl it, it is a larger flame than in the past. I always shut if off in the summer. Dave

Hmmm, Didn't he say pilot is lit?

Reply to
dave

The thermocouple sits in the flame of the pilot light. If there is no pilot light, the thermocouple is cold and the gas solenoid valve will not open. It's a safety feature to prevent the gas from being turned on when the pilot light has gone out.

Reply to
Charles Schuler