Gas Explosions near Boston

I have no additional info on this other than what I saw on the TV news.
There are two things that I can think of that could cause this.
1) a large excess of pressure in the gas main causing regulators to vent and in some cases this vented gas ignited. What could causue this?
2) There was an interruption in gas flow and pilots went out. Then when the gas flow resumed, the pilot supply gas escaped and in some cases ignited. Most appliances has safety systems to prevent this but if the interruption was wide spread, there are bound to be some that don't or that malfunction.
Yes, it is all speculation at this point.
mark
On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 9:54:50 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It had to be a huge over pressure condition. Which leads to the question of whether they have a safety relief on meters? If so, IDK why there would be so many houses blowing up. I saw pics of some of them, they look like single family homes where you'd expect the gas meter to be outside and venting there couldn't cause it. If the meter is inside, having an over pressure vent would be a real bad idea, unless there is piping to take the gas outside. So, IDK.
What caused it?
Mechanical failure
Crews mis-connected high pressure side to low (work was being done at the time)
Intentional act

Pilots are so small it would be very difficult for that to account for it. The pilot would have to be in a small space that doesn't have a large volume of air and is extremely well sealed. Gas appliances aren't supposed to be in such places and rarely are.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 07:48:47 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

That seems to be what they are reporting.

Also an old city with old pipes. Could have caused some marginal pipes to leak and seep into the house. IDK if the high pressure could blow the regulators in the house and if say, water heater kicks on cause a blast.
They have to get this diagnosed and repaired quickly so people can cook, have hot water, and soon heat. It will cost some big bucks too.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Don't worry, the users will pay.
--
Tekkie