Garge door opener problem

I have a very old Genie model 404 garage door opener (Screw Drive) does not work more than a few seconds and then dies. It does not lift the door at all. Sometimes it runs for a couple of a second in one direction and then a couple of seconds in theother and stops. Does anyone know what may be the problem.

Reply to
saqlain.khan

Hi, Motor may have brushes. Maybe they are worn out Does the door manually move up/down free when opener is disengaged?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, the door does work manually without any problem. Do you think the capacitor is weak?

Reply to
saqlain.khan

I repaired one several years ago that had a bad optical rotation sensor on the end of the motor. It's possible that the controller is detecting a fault condition due to a bad sensor and shutting down. If the controller has a current sensor, it may be detecting a high current draw and shutting down.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It does not seem like that it has the power it used to have even when it runs for a few seconds. My Genie is very old. Probably 70's or

1980's. Do you think it still has optical rotation sensor? Do you think it's repairable or I should just get a new one. Do you think the cold weather is causing it to act like that?
Reply to
saqlain.khan

Without seeing the thing it's hard to say but I've been repairing equipment for a long time and an item that I would repair for myself may not be cost effective for someone to pay me to repair for them. Replacement parts for the 404 are readily available but I often wind up repairing the bad circuit boards myself. The rotation sensor which Genie calls an " Opto-Luctor" is not expensive. In fact all the parts for the opener are not that expensive if ordered online. The electrolytic capacitors on the circuit boards and the motor can go bad before anything else. If you think the motor capacitor is defective, you could take it to an electric motor repair/rewind shop and ask them if they would check it for you. Here are some links to parts suppliers and possibly a source of tech support for any questions you may have.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Home Depot, $99, problem solved...