Garden Hose reel that works!

After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought a hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by Triton. It was expensive compared to the big box store junk, but should easily last the rest of my life.

I bought a plastic one last year and it was nothing but frustration. I turned the water on this year and it leaked so I gave up, did some internet searching and found a few places that sell the Triton line. Well made of substantial tubing and cast metal, powder coated, stainless steel hardware, brass fitting, etc. and generous size. If you share my frustration with cheap reels, this is a worthwhile purchase.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have three of the plastic Ames ones. Have had no problem with any of them and they don't leak...well, I did have a problem last year with one in that I cross threaded the hose connection but I was able to re-thread it correctly. My only complaint with them is that even with a hose loaded, they are too light and don't stay in position while you pull hose.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Too light was also a reason I went with theTriton. The plastic one from Suncast would pull right along with the hose and move around when you tried to wind the hose back. The Rapid Reel is on a cart that is waist high and stays put.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a stand...it'll stay put when you pull! :)

Reply to
dpb

Take at look at these water powered re-wind hose reels.

esp this one

I got two of them for my 80 year ago mother & they work pretty good.....it says it's rated for 125 ft of hose but that's optimistic.

For a 75 ft hose it works like a champ. They need to change the gear ratio to give more torque & less speed .

Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

These look pretty good. My next door neighbor has one model, but I had no idea it had power rewind. It's pretty silly in his case I think since the edge of his property is only 20 feet from the faucet, and I never seem him water anything anyhow.

It must have been a gift.

Reply to
mm

My wife prefers the old stiff one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Always bragging and wishfull thinking.

Reply to
Charlie

"dpb" wrote

Last summer, I made a hose rack of an old bent rim and a square tubing (heavy) post. Set it in concrete. Well, everyone had to have one, so I made six. I gave them away, or accepted a payment of a free dinner or such. I think I could sell them for $20 each at the flea market. Only thing, don't use too small a diameter rim, as they won't hold a lot of hose, and it doesn't run around the rim as sweet as one with a bigger arc. I guess you could bolt it on with U bolts if you don't have a welder. I go to the local tire shops, and they will give me all the bent rims they have every time I go.

A simple solution to a complex problem.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Or stop by your local big box or hardware store and buy a hose rack for a couple bucks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have a bunch of hose reels. The ones that fasten to the wall are best but if you want one out in the yard somewhere I have found you can buy a big concrtete paving stone that you "tapCon" the reel to so it stays put. I made straps from 1" wide aluminum strap to hold it down

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, I guess that would work, too. If your taste is in cheap pieces of shit that don't last more than two seasons.

I hang good 50 and 75 foot black Goodyear hoses on mine. The heavy ones. Sometimes I have two lengths on there. Those light cheesy piece of shit two dollar hose racks from the local big box or hardware stores won't even hold up the weight.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yep, I came to the same conclusion last year and replaced (for the third time in 10 years) the cheap plastic Home Depot POS with a Triton. As you noted, it didn't leak... ever... and is of very stout construction.

Like all tools, you can cry once when you pay for it or you can cry every time you use it. I chose to cry once. It ran me about $85 IIRC and I got it online somewhere (who can remember?).

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

She told me the same thing.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That is what I found on the shelf last year- thin metal or plastic. This year, I found real thick bent and welded brackets everywhere, cheap. All made in China or Taiwan, and I had to provide my own lag bolts, but they hold up my 100-foot commercial-grade black rubber hose just fine.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

??? I have two of the tin ones and one plastic. They have all been in use for around 15 years. Not showing any wear and tear yet. True that 2 only have 50 ft, the plastic has 75 ft on it but none of them show any signs of rejecting more if I wanted.

Yes, your homebuilt ones sound nice. To me it also sounds like reinventing the wheel.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I know this is an old thread but reading your post talking about your junk plastic reel was my story too. Because of your advice I went to Triton's site and saw their reel. With their description and pictures and your glowing endorsement I bought one.

It arrived today and is now assembled. Ed, I have to take exception to your statement of "good quality." What you should have said is "excellent quality." As with you, this reel will probably last me the rest of my life.

Thanks,

Gordon Shumway

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Unless you leave water in it through freezing weather. This is probably the major cause of early failure. I always blow mine out with compressed air before freezing weather.

Reply to
Bob F

I managed to catch mine with the bumper of my car as I backed out of my garage and pulled the reel off its axle. Broke the damned thing!

I ordered a replacement axle and was delighted to see they sent me a free one, even though I had caused the damage and there was no defect attributable to them. It came quick, too.

I can't say enough good things about the Triton reel. The only thing I changed on mine from stock was the handle to one that didn't stick out quite so far. My garage is a little tight.

When you buy something cheap, the only time you're really happy with it is when you pay for it. But buy quality, and you'll enjoy it every time you use it. Triton is quality.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd

You're welcome. The initial price is a bit of a shocker but the quality and ease of use sure make it worth having. Winding up 100' of hose is easy

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski