Garbage disposal 'clamp nut' broke, is discontinued.

So the wife and I bought a house and moved in this past January. We recently redid the kitchen, and in the process of switching out sinks, broke the clamp ring on the otherwise really good garbage disposal (GE GFC900Z-01) that came with the house. I looked it up online, ordered the nut and the gasket, and got an email back saying they're discontinued.

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5 in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Matthew Dunphy

So which part is broken - 2005 or 2010? Only thing on that page for $5 was the gasket.

Locate a real appliance parts store. One that has counter help and see if they have aftermarket parts. Have the model number handy.

Reply to
Oren

Start calling all the appliance parts stores in the yellow pages. We have a really good one near us that carries just about anything you're looking for. Even try some of the independent repair shops. MLD

Reply to
MLD

If that fails, check local Habitat ReStore, for ripout disposals. May be one in the pile with the same clamp nut as yours, and their prices are dirt cheap.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

...or if that doesn't work, they may have a complete old one that they'd want to unload for $cheap.

Reply to
Bob M.

The only two things came to mind. One is large ammounts of silicone caulk, and two days for drying. Second thing came to mind, was something like leather around there, and then tighten with screw clamps.

Others suggestion is very good, to make a bunch of calls, to try to find parts still "out there".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is appliance-parts-warehouse the only on-line source you tried?

While all the other replies make sense, I'd make a couple of phone calls and then give up. You can get *really* good disposals for pretty cheap these days. I don't know how much time I'd spend without a working disposal, especially one that leaked.

I love my In-Sink-Erator Excel. It's so d*mn quiet that sometimes I forget it's on until I turn the water off. The removable drain baffle is designed to use the running water to muffle the sound almost completely.

A video and sound level comparison can be found here. I'll vouch for the sound level comparisons.

DerbyDad03

Try another supplier

or get a used ISE disposal on craigslist

Once you switch over to ISE....you'll have a standard disposal interface for as long as own the house.

The ISE three lug mounting system makes it a breeze to change up disposals.

I had an ISE fail...it was under warranty....an in-house service warranty. I had them ship me a new unit & installed it myself...easier than waiting for the repair guy.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt