Garage Floor Finish

What is a good sealer/finisher for a concrete garage floor, And what prep is recommended. Thanks!

Reply to
John Hayes

epoxy 2 part is the best but has a lot of fumes,very durable

Reply to
heisershomemaintenance

acid etching the concrete does lift out loose debris and most oil residue but if not rinsed well enough will keep anything from adhearing to it, there is a citrus acid i strongly recomend you can find at lowes, homedepot, and some hardware stores, get a good stiff bristled brush scrub the cleaner in, in about a 5'x5' area rinse and do the next 5x5 etc... try to keep it clean as it dries and you can go by its apperance or you can do the moisture test tape a piece of plastic down on the floor if there is know moisture within2-4 hours you'll be good, note; some epoxy's dry very quick depending on the ambient temp. stay busy have fun. howell mi.

Reply to
heisershomemaintenance

I did the Rustoleum Professional solvent-based epoxy on my garage floor. I prepped with a strong muratic acid wash, then let dry for a few days prior to application. Wear a respirator when applying this stuff, the fumes are nasty. The water-base epoxy is cheaper and doesn't have the issues with fumes, but it is less durable than the solvent base epoxy.

I also applied the clear-coat as well. I have found this epoxy to be very durable. Car tires are not an issue.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

The best is the one that was put on while following the prep instructions exactly. All others are junk!

After that I would look for a two part epoxy.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i used Sears water based epoxy on my new garage floor (wintertime - no fumes) and the only complaint might be poor coverage making it very pricey, and non-skid sand inclusion which I do not like. The plus side is the recommended cleaner is included in the package. On other projects I like Sherwin-Williams solvent based even with the acid etch and dry hassle. Actually lower cost per square foot than others. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

thanks everybody for assistance