Garage Door Repair?

I moved into a home that has a garage door opener. The main motor seems to be in working condition, it turns on and off when its supposed to. However nothing is hooked up to the motor. Are there some generic parts that I can buy to hook the motor up to the door? It looks like it was connected at one time, and I'd like to get it working again.

Reply to
Celeste548

Sounds like would have been a candidate item on the punch list for when you bought the house... :)

Depends on what brand and how old the opener is and what is missing and why---no real way to tell w/o being able to see what part(s) are there and what aren't (or are broken). MOre than likely the reason it was disconnected was that something broke and parts weren't available.

Only real possibility ime has been to call the local door repair guy who happens to be one who squirrels away old units for just such purposes. OTOH, the other shops in town toss everything they take out into the dumpster rather than hang on to any so it'll be whether you can find somebody of the former type. Virtually none of the volume manufacturers really supply parts other than perhaps controllers boards, etc., for any unit over a few years old. It may be far simpler to just put a new opener in rather than try to find parts for this one.

But, the first thing is to find out what brand and model and go from there. I don't know of any third-party parts sources.

Reply to
dpb

There should be an arm connected to a door bracket in the center of the door between the two top rollers. This should not be much of a hassle for you to obtain locally.

Rich

Rich