Garage Door Recommendations Needed

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis. Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

Reply to
Pointer

Buy a "coiling" type garage door. That's the kind that rolls up into a coil NOT the kind that rolls up over your head.

Reply to
Molly Brown

On 20 May 2010, Molly Brown wrote in alt.home.repair:

Why?

Reply to
Nil

By one that fits the opening from the local lumber company and install it yourself. About $350. An extra $100 if you want a window panel. I like the old fashioned dual coil springs with cables. Not that wind up toy.

Reply to
LSMFT

If you're clever, you can find a (say) metal door that will fit your existing tracks. That makes the installation even easier.

Doors come in panels 8' wide and about 18" tall. These panels are then bolted together like a giant Erector Set. If your hand fits a wrench, it should be a doable job.

Reply to
HeyBub

I had my old wooden clunker replaced with a Raynor steel door with decorative windows and insulation panels. Been at least 5 years and still looks new.

Reply to
Frank

I met a guy at the Chinese consulate in DC, on his way to China to check on production of his garage door. It's painted or something to look like it's an open porch, with tables etc. inside and a nice white-bordered roof.

I think his wife invented and the first trip or two they took together, but now he was on his 4th or 5th trip and all the glamour of going to China had worn off and it just a drag.

They have a good webpage, but I can't remember the name. :(

Reply to
mm

I'm very biased about these doors.* I've seen numerous installed, so when I had one replaced last year I bought a Martin garage door. A family owned business.

They started selling them at HD and Lowe's - get a look at the quality. There are some samples in the store. I didn't know this when I called them for a new GD. The Martin rep that came to my house told me to visit one of these stores and save $200 on the purchase price. At first I objected that idea because Martin doors are installed ONLY by trained installers. He explained the doors are installed by the Martin company installers and not some fly by night outfit.

Put the door on a no interest payment plan, filed taxes this year and obtained an energy tax credit (30%) on my income taxes. This door gets money back from my uncle...

Tax credit PDF (two pages)

Oren

Some artists are really good at that type painting. Up in PA was an appliance/furniture store with a boring white painted brick wall. After it was painted by the artist it fooled me for a second or two. Painting things like an awning at an angle really gave it the 3 dimensional look. It had big store windows showing furniture and high tech looking stereo systems. It was the talk of the town, and surrounding towns for some time. The artist was that good. I've also seen some delivery trucks with the back door painted so it looked like the door was open and a worker hanging on. At least one report of a driver behind the truck getting out at a red light and telling the truck driver that the back door was open, that appliances may fall out onto the road!

Reply to
Tony

Looks like a Library:

Oren

Almost never breaks down, takes up a lot less space and you need a lot more than a can opener to get through it.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I had my old wooden clunker replaced with a Raynor steel door with decorative windows and insulation panels. Been at least 5 years and still looks new.

Ditto on Raynor..I have 2 10X7's in my new garage...When I was getting quotes and checking prices I found out that I could get them installed about

150 bucks more than I could buy them and install them myself..I let the pro's do it (local installer)and I love the doors....
Reply to
benick

Reply to
Pointer

I had an 18' x 7' Raynor door installed many years ago. Great door, with all the bells and whistles (insulation, interior panels,...). I didn't much like their openers so bought a Sears and installed that myself (it was quite a while back). I wouldn't attempt installing it myself, though. The overhead door companies know what they're doing and aren't expensive at all.

Reply to
keith