Advice about garage door repairs needed...

My garage doors got 2 panels knocked out over the holidays by a [indigent] family member, and I need to know if it is likely that the whole door will have to replaced... rather than repaired.

It was installed 20 yrs. ago, and has 3 windows in it, above the panels which were damaged. It's never been worked on, and previously just made a lot of noise in the summertime, because the female owner of the house [moi], never oiled it. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer.

So my question, is it likely those panels can be replaced, or that I have to spring for the whole door? And if I have to buy a new door, what type is the most reasonable in the Southeast? What's the choice or price range now, if I still want a door with the windows?

I got a coupon in the mail from Overhead Door, which used to have a good reputation in my area. Anyone used them recently? Any advice will be appreciated. TIA...

Barbara

Reply to
chicagofan

I'm sorry, but why don't you get a quote from the repair company? And maybe 2 others? It seems obvious that is the first thing to do.

Reply to
Stubby

I plan to... just thought I would ask for some advice from CONSUMERS who've bought doors recently about pros and cons of their experience. And when it comes to repairs, my experience is, I am usually always told things *must* be replaced... when the truth is often... the contractor doesn't want the "repair" work. Just trying to get *prepared*.

Also since the mechanism still works, even though it is pretty old, I wondered if hardware is better or worse today, and I should be looking to replace it anyway.

Thanks for your obvious advice. ;) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

The panels can be replaced individually, but cosmetically you may not get a match between 20 year old panels and new ones, even if they have the same part number. Mechanically and functionally it is no problem.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

I live in western New York, and I have two garage doors made of wood and similar material. No windows, but each has four rows of panels, and the bottom row of each is basically rotten. I know I need to replace them, so I called in two good companies locally.

I learned that I would pay about $200 per row of panels, and if I included the electric openers, which I don't have right now, I'd be looking at about $650 for those two. All of this work (totaling around $1,100) would "enable" these folks to clean up and fix my two garage doors so they work well. Right now, it's hard to latch them because they're out of alignment, etc., etc.

Call two or three companies that service garage doors in your area, including that Overhead door company you mention. You can get this fixed without a lot of expense, I think: pay for the row of panels (I do hope the two panels knocked out were in the same row) and then some extra for cleaning and realigment of your door. Good luck.

Reply to
KLS

Wayne Dalton makes excellent doors and in my experience they are reasonably priced for installations at their stores. See if they have a store in your area for an estimate. Lowes sells them too but charges more for installation in my experience.

Reply to
Art

Well, sometimes folks go ask anonymous usenet posters, instead of calling real people on the phone. I'm never sure why.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

sounds like you want a new door with a new opener, let's approximate you'll get another 20 years out of a replacement door with a nice quiet rubber belt opener for $2 per week or less. $2000 or less depending on single or double size and height and your favorite styles. insulated door if you air condition or heat your garage. get a remote for each car, each house door, and a spare.

Reply to
buffalobill

Is the door made out of wood, plastic, metal, what?

What color is it? Is it an easy color to match, or are you willing to paint the whole door. (That's something you can do yourself). How hard is it to get paint that will stick to the door?

Oil it. It will probably go up easier.

mm

A garage door repairperson can get you sections that match exactly what you have now. Especially if it's a wood door. But you have to figure in the rest of the system. Are the tracks straight or bent, are the rollers in need of replacing? Are the pulleys in good shape? How are the cables, springs etc.? Any door can be repaired but is it really worth it?

If you opt to replace the door I recommend "THE OVERHEAD DOORS" series.

Rich

Rich

Just buy a whole new house, that is what Commrade Joe would recomend.

TJ

Reply to
Texas Joe

I know labor, services, etc., vary widely by location, but thanks so much for this information! It's exactly what I was looking for. It tells me doors like mine can be repaired, and I should look, until I have repair prices to compare with the cost of a new door.

I was thinking a new door may be the best option in the end, but I haven't seen any yet, that I like as much as the one I have now. So I'll see what is most practical, because other problems could develop later with repairs.

They were both on the second row from the ground, but the bottom row should probably be replaced [according to the last painter they're in bad shape, it's just not visible yet]. :)

Thanks again for letting me know I do have options. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

All the mechanics are still working, but I'm sure need to be checked for 20 yrs of corrosion, etc..

I was debating that question, until I looked at the design options in replacement doors in economical price ranges. Simple styles like mine with windows in wood doors are hard to find... but I'm still looking. :)

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

And thanks to Art for the "Wayne Dalton" rec., I have seen them advertised here.

Thanks to BuffaloBill for the price range [estimate] and the info on how I can get my door "silenced" or quieter. ;)

Really do appreciate all the responses guys, and I'm sorry some people can't see the difference in asking opinions of the *consumers* of services, as opposed to people *selling* services to you. I've used the internet for 10 yrs. to gather information BEFORE I buy a product or service, and didn't see why this newsgroup should be any different.

If I post another stupid question in the future... please just ignore me Stubby and Christopher. I DO know who I have to call. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks... that's sort of the philosophy that has served me well in the past too. :) The more information you have the better. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Barbra Please contact me At snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com So that I may tell you in private DON'T get ripped off! Sincerly Anthony at Anthony's Door Systems

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller

You can usually replace panels, but if you have cloplay it won't be worth just replacing panels because about 2 panels from cloplay cost as much as a better door from some where else Good replacement door is a stratford from Amarr doors in my opion. Best Regards Anthony