Garage door opener

A friend needs another garage door opener receiver. He's not using it to open a garage door, since he doesn't have one, but to turn on floodlights around his house. The setup came with the house.

Does the receiver include the timer that turns off the light after a certain time? Or is that part of the mechanical opener itself?

Do people notice the difference beween the radio receiver and the mechancial opener when they are installing these things.

He found a receiver at a bargain price, but it's just about one square inch and is equivalent to push buttom switch with a receiver to switch it and surely doesn't include thne light timer.

If I find a more complete reciever, will it have the light timer in it, something that will send a second impulse a few minutes later?

Reply to
mm

Never mind. I found out that it never turned the lights off automatically. They had one remote in the car and one in the house.

Since they only had the receiver, which controlled a relay, which controlled a latching relay, they had no timer even before my friend threw away the receiver since he didn't know what it was.

So we need a receiver with more than one remote. And I found one already. (He had found one with only one remote at Radio Shack for only 3 dollars on closeout They had more than one. They might have one at your local radioshack too, but they've wiped any memory of the iterm off their webpage, so you would have to go look. This one has a big remote control, meant for mounting on a wall outside hte garage and so you have to put in a 4 digit password, a pound sign, and a number 1 to get it to work. Also a nuisance. A 6 inchees long x 1.5 wide by 1 inch deep. Also a problem. But it' sonly 3 dollars! May or may not need a power supply for the little receiver, depending on how the rest of the circuit is wired. If you see one for sale, write me for details.)

Reply to
mm