Fun Facts, wired earbuds

Fun Facts

If you wind the cord from your earbuds into a circle, they always get tangled when you try to use them.

If you fold them over and over until they're short enough to put where you want them, they unfold with much less gangling than the method above. At least in my experience.

There must be some branch of science or math or industry that deals with stuff like this. Anyone know?

Reply to
micky

it's called knot theory.

But between 46 centimetres and 150 centimetres (about five feet), the probability of a knot forming rises dramatically. With a cord longer than that, the probability of a knot forming reaches a plateau of 50 percent. ... "At least" because earbuds are, of course, a Y-shaped string, and thus the knotting frequency is compounded further. (Raymer and Smith didn't look at strings with more than one branch, but anecdotally I can confirm that the tangle-rate is pretty high.)
nospam

not ergonomics.

it's called knot theory.

Reply to
nospam

Am 09.03.21 um 22:15 schrieb micky:

Sure! The manufacturers of Bluetooth and Wifi headsets. This was easy ...

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

It is simple geometry, every loop you put in that cord is a twist. The only way around it would be to unroll it and not just pull it out.

Reply to
gfretwell

go read the research paper before digging yourself a deeper hole.

Reply to
nospam

... as long as you then unwind them and not just pull the coil over the end.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can tell you from long experience as a racing sailor, if you want to ensure a halyard, sheet or other line runs free when you need it to, you toss it into a loose pile; only making sure that the bitter end isn't beneath the pile but rather off to the side.

Sure, we coiled lines for putting the boat away, but never when actually using them.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Demonstrating once again how little you understand.

How things tangle is definitely a part of "knot theory".

Reply to
Alan Baker

"Spontaneous knotting of an agitated string"

And from that:

"We used mathematical knot theory to analyze the knots. Above a critical string length, the probability P of knotting at first increased sharply with length but then saturated below 100%"

Reply to
Alan Baker

yes it does and don't snip to alter context.

Reply to
nospam

And here goes the circular argument again.

The subject was the tangling of earphone leads,

You were told the problem was not in the field of ergonomics, but knot theory, and shown a paper describing the tangling problem.

You declared that tangling isn't a not.

You declared the paper had nothing to do with knot theory.

You were shown it did....

...and now we're back at the top.

Reply to
Alan Baker

In what way are they not like cords?

You're lying...

...and you're not good at that either.

Reply to
Alan Baker

I just showed you the paper that declares it is.

You don't have the slightest clue what "knot theory" is in the first place.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Yeah, that's it!

Reply to
micky

false.

also false.

here's what i orig> > > Tangling isnt a knot.

Reply to
nospam

Yep "string theory" :)

Reply to
Chris

Maybe you should "roadie wrap" the cord?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think I know what a "roadie wrap" is...

...but what do you think it is?

:-)

Reply to
Alan Baker

Now this is the story all about how My life got flipped, turned upside down And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how ...

Oh wait, you said Wrap... nvm

Reply to
Joe Beanfish