Straight tape lines

I need to paint some stripe lines on a wall and doing some research I found some great ideas on placing tape on the wall (3M or Frog) and then painting over the edge with the base-color, polyurethane or clear chalk. When its just dry to the touch, but not totally set, paint over w/ stripe color and immediately remove tape. Done, perfect line.

My Question is, If I run a line of tape the length of the wall (10 - 15'), how do I get the tape down straight to begin with ?

I had several ideas: 1.) run a wide tape over the line to be painted and then come back with a long straight edge and creating a very straight edge by dragging a razor or utility knife to create a perfectly straight edge ?

2.) Screw a piece of lumber w/ a very straight edge to the wall and use that as a guide to lay down the tape ?

Does anyone have experience painting stripes or straight lines like what I described ?

Thanks Sid.

Reply to
Sid 03

I've never tried it so note the disclaimer. Would something like metal strap iron work?

Dean Hoffman

Use one of these as a guide when you lay down the tape.

Scott Lurndal

Chalk line. Set the tape next to the line, not on it and eyeball the gap. Then wipe off the chalk. (use blue)

Reply to
gfretwell

Scott, when the description says 'Self Leveling' , how self leveling is it ? If I want to stick a tapeline down 20+' long, how off would the ends be, 1/8" or inches ? Doesn't the laser get fuzzy on the ends at that distance ? I saw that same level on eBay for < $40, and a bunch of no-name stuff from China for 10 - $20, but I don't trust companies that don't put a brand name on there product.

Reply to
Sid 03

The guys who laid out my pool they started with a laser, a good one but they did the final checks with a water level (a piece of hose full of water)

Reply to
gfretwell

There is a Black & Decker model available at Menards and Amazon for $14

Sid 03

Snap a chalk line the width of the tape below the desired line and run the rape above the line (or reverse and do it below the line)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But you trust companies that import the same crap and put their brand on it???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If it has a brand name and came from a reputable site on-line or Brick and Mortar store, you can always return it. Sometimes when you order that stuff from China, they don't even sent what you ordered !

Reply to
Sid 03

I've ordered a lot from FleaBay and paid using PayPal. Some has been JUNK - and I got full refund. Some has been substandard - not quite as advertized and I got a discount. When they wanted it returned I told them they could have it if they paid the return shipping - otherwize I could sendt hem a picture if it smashed by a hammer - they have never paid the shipping or asked for the photo - OR got the junk back.

Over-all my experience has been reasonably positive - I buy what I can locally but there is some stuff you just CAN NOT buy from local brick and mortars - and I refuse to pay double for the same stuff ordering it out of the USA and pay twice what the item is worth for shipping and brokerage.

I needed a few electronic components. An American supplier had them in Texas for something like $7 each - needed quantity 5 - plus $35 shipping- so SEVENTY DOLLARS plus exchange!!!!. Exactly the same product straight fron China were something like US $8.50 for a package of 10, ahipping included. Estimated delivery from Texas was 14 days, and I had them from China in under 21 - - - for something like $!!.00 Canadian.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You do have to be careful about ordering electronic components from China. Especially transistors. They often check out ok on some simple testers, but fail under power or frequency.

I do order lots of things from China off ebay and have been well satified, but some have been big failuers. Several frinds in the area have found the same thing.

Some things from China are sold over here for a lot more and are the same thing.

Shipping can take a couple of weeks to 2 months so I don;t order anyting I want in a hurry from China.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

so far has ranged from 8 to about 80 days - - - -

Same parts of Amazon are often 3X the price - and STILL ship from China - even though you pay an American. They just mark it up and drop ship it -AND charge shipping on top of it. As for transistors, 99%+ are mafe in China anyway - no matter where you buy them. I think, overall, their quality is improving.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It is not so much as good or bad transistors but many from China off ebay are fakes. Searching the internet shows where on larger ones that can be cut open the acutal material inside is lots smaller than the 'good' ones. Some solid state devices may be anyting inside and just relabled on the outside to something else just to sell.

I had bought some transisotrs off ebay and they checked ok on the simple testers I have but would not work in the circuit at higher frequencies. I bought the same number from a source in the US that is reliable and those worked fine with out any other changes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have had fairly good luck buying components from Ebay. As often as not they look like someone bought a reel of them and cut them up into consumer sized bites. The cost is about triple up to 5x each from what you can get a reel of them for but 1000 at a time they are usually a penny each on a reel so we are still talking less than a buck for a bunch. (I got 10 LM317s for 99 cents, shipped) That is a whole lot cheaper than the olden days of getting one in a bubble pack from Radio Shack for $2.99. Things like resistors and capacitors I usually buy a ~500 hundred assorted at a time. They are a penny each or less for 5%

1/2w with a good assortment of values. It gives you a chance to brush up on your color code reading skills ;-)
Reply to
gfretwell