FUN POLICE

Just watching the program on CH4 about the farce that has become H&Safety. I couldn't believe it when they shown us someone who went into a window making company in a full suit and tie, gathered the staff around and proceded to show them how to pick up (in slowmo) a very small box + contents weighing no more than, I guess, 3lb in weight. He then packed up and went. For that 10 minute farce, he was paid £400 A DAY...... MADNESS, MADNESS. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do you know how many places he visited?

Reply to
John

been there & had the course :-)

Reply to
Kevin

He was a training consultant who used to work for the HSE, and would only have been in that place of work if he'd been engaged by the management of the business. So blame them ;-) I thought the whole programme very superficial.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Certainly a very superficial programme.... Having worked in a similar role (BS5750 / ISO 9000 Quality Consultancy) the man they filmed had clearly been chosen as a 'typical' example of a consultant (retired from full-time employment, bit on the pedantic side, easy to poke fun at after selective editing... etc)

Thing is - just as in the Quality business - the basic principle is perfectly fine, and needs to be highlighted. Sometimes, the way it's implemented isn't perfect - but that doesn't mean that the principle is wrong. People do get injured (lifting things) at work, and familiarity breeds contempt - but this particular fellow's 'delivery' left a little to be desired...

On the infrequent occasions where people have one-on-one training in my stained glass workshop - the very first thing that we do is a 5-minute briefing on potential hazards (of which there are quite a few). I'd rather be thought of as pedantic than have to take people to casualty for stitches / wash glass splinters out of their eyes / etc.

You need to treat people like adults though .... and the way some of this programme was shown the fellow appeared to miss this a little..

As to £400 a day - (not per 10 minutes!) - if you think it's easy money then give it a try.... - trust me - it's not!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Its easy to miss the obvious in safety.. like..

if something is dripping on your head don't look up to see what it is!

Reply to
dennis

If you don't provide the training and there is a serious incident ---£££££££££££££££££££

Reply to
John

At a place I worked, someone ended up in hospital with a back injury because he picked up a sheet of paper carelessly.

I didn't see the programme, but the usual trick with lifting and handling training is to get one of the trainees to pick the, invariably small and light, box up, then casually say 'thanks, you can put it down now'. Nine times out of ten they will pick it up following all the rules and put it down doing everything wrong.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

When taking people abseiling we used to tell them that if we shouted "ROCK" that meant they had to shrink close to the cliff face and not look up. Of course they were wearing safety helmets. We shouted "Rock" no matter what was falling down. Sometimes it was a spare safety helmet.

Reply to
Matty F

I meant to watch the programme, I'll have to look for a repeat.

I noticed on The Home Show this week that one of the window fitters appeared to be doing his stuff perched outside on the window sill.

I remember being at a social event which happened to be attended by the guy I knew as our company safety officer. Guess who dragged his chair right in front of the fire exit ;-)

I will confess to finding myself more aware of safety matters than most, mainly because of various work-related stuff over the years.

At an event I usually at least make sure that I know where the exits are, and the routes to them. Carrying out such a visual check I have found:

Emergency exit chained and padlocked: Bury Marquee with no fire exits, no exit signs, no emergency lighting: Lincoln. Previously failed electrical circuit leading to flat batteries in emergency lights and exit signs: London Inadequate exit signs and locked door on exit route: Whitby.

Even when the organisers have done their best, I have lost count of the chairs, piles of bags, push chairs and so forth which have been placed across the exits. Self-preservation doesn't seem to be a strong instinct.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I was watching a film in a cinema, when it finished we all headed for the emergency exits like we usually do only to find some prat had parked a car outside the one I was trying to open. He wont do it again as I nearly broke the door slamming it repeatedly into his car as hard as I could.

Reply to
dennis

(that's not the original site)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Here at the university all notices placed on walls/doors must be laminated to protect the paper from catching fire, well unless they are notices that tell you when the next fire alarm test is which tend to remain stuck to doors for upto a week without any protection from catching light at all. We have a similar thing with doors we had lots of office doors replaced because they were solid and no one could see into the office to see if anyone was inside or if there was a fire in that office, so all doors were replaced with a door that had a window in it so you could see inside. Except the head of department and his secretaries office next door who were both allowed to cover up the windows with posters and/or coats. I guess certain members of staff are immune from fire regulations, or fire I can't tell which ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I guess it would be amusing for some if a person was injured from a falling safety helmet, it would amuse me, although perhaps it shouldn't. Sometimes you just don;t know whether to laugh or cry ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Following up to whisky-dave

you need an experiment!

Look at this photo - it is a ladder on the capped chimney of a 2 storey house - giving access to the 3rd story flat roof conversion - to access a satellite dish I think. mmmmmmm!

John

In the holds of ships, the stevedores are told to shout BEWARE!!! and not LOOKOUT!!! because the foreign sailors take LOOKOUT!!! as meaning, well, to look out, and some have had their heads nearly knocked off.

:-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

You need matches. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

If tied down, its safe enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message

from Matty F contains these words:

Don't think I have ever heard anyone call out anything other than 'BELOW'.

A quick google suggests 'below' is widely recognised as a climbing call. I couldn't find any instance of 'rock' as a climbing call.

Reply to
Roger