Freezer is cold, but not cold enough for ice

I have a fairly new (2 years) whirlpool fridge. Recently the ice maker stopped making ice,, it appears that the water in the ice trays are not getting cold enough!! Could anyone tell me anything about this? point me down the path of what I should do? Calling for service being my last resort.

Thanks!

Reply to
Brent

if calling for service is your last resort, you could get into the habit of buying a bag of ice at the supermarket, OR, you could purchase a new refrigerator, OR, you could borrow ice from your neighbor....

hey, how about a home study course on refrigeration? whirlpool refrigerators in particular.

Reply to
go fish

refrigerators

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Well I figured out the problem.. The coils seem to get cold enough to freeze the ice,, then they turn off and the ice melts (in the tray) then they turn back on again.. bleh,, just out of warranty too.. wouldnt it figure

Reply to
Brent

This is Turtle.

All the high price parts or problems are still under warrenty for 5 years. Compressor, freon leaks, and anything with the freon system parts being defective. You only have to pay for defrost parts , condenser or evaperator fan motors, and themostat.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi,

Is the frozen food thawing out at the same time?

Model#?

helps.

The freezer temp air is what freezes the cubes in the icemaker.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

It sounds like you've isolated the *symptom* but not the problem (cause). Now you'll have to isolate why it "tuns off" (or possibly more like doesn't turn back on again?).

That could be caused by the compressor over heating (which could be caused by any number of things), the thermostat just not cutting back in again after cycling off, the defrost timer sticking in the defrost mode or the compressor failing to start up at times.

A standard refrigerator warranty is one year parts and labour and 5 years on the sealed system (sometimes parts only). Some Whirlpool models have a 2 year parts and labour warranty but *only on the sealed (refrigeration) system*. See the following link:

The Appliance Purchase : Limited Warranties

Your symptom is likely to be caused by other than a sealed system failure anyway, in which case it wouldn't have been covered under warranty after the first year.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~