Ice Maker Problem - Help

I have a Kenmore 696 side-by-side refrigerator. The Ice maker has stopped producing ice. I am assuming it is one of two problems: 1) no water getting to input, or

2) mechanical problem. I don't want to call a repair-person, as they will charge me more for a service call than the price of the maker. I would like to diagnose the source of the problem myself and hopefully replace and defective part. Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem that they had? Any good web links?

Thanks! Leor

Reply to
Leor Amikam

the service man will probably just replace the ice maker also.. not too many service guys work on an icemaker its just as cheap to replace it as it is for him to trouble shoot it.... they cost about $100 for the whole thing.....

Reply to
jim

about the only thing i can tell you before replacing it is to make sure your metal bar is not down (the one that comes down to tell the ice maker that its full of ice, and if you have sight sensors-on my whirlpool side by side it has an electric eye that will find the loaded up icemaker and make it stop making ice--- the sight openings sometimes gets clouded with front...just remove the frost...... it will come back just wipe it again..... every week or so????

Reply to
jim

Thanks.

There is no water > >

Reply to
Leor Amikam

I fixed it. It was just frozen stuck.

Reply to
Leor Amikam

Hi,

Kenmore model#'s are more like 123.45678910

Closest prefix # that I am aware of is 596.#########.

Does the icemaker still go through the motions but is not filling, or is the icemaker just sitting there dead?

Some not filling with water trouble makers that may help...

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

Reply to
jeff

Home appliiances do not usually "pump' water into them, they simply open a valve and the house water pressure forces water in. You can read about the water fill valves used on appliances at the following link:

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~