Framing out the wall

Hi,

I need to increase the depth of a wall (currently open) and I'm planning to do it essentially by nailing 2x2's to the existing studs. My question is simle: should I also use an adhesive will just the nails do?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Depends what you plan to do with the wall. If you just need it deeper to add more insulation or clear a vent stack, nailing 2x2s on the face is fine, adhesive not really needed. If you are going to be hanging heavy cabinets on it, I would extend the plates with 2x2, and then toenail in

2x4 or 2x6 studs next to the existing studs, with added blocking where the cabinet rails will land. But that is just me- when in doubt, over-build. The extra wood is cheaper than doing it twice.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers
2x2's actually cost more than 2x4's. You could put 2x4's across the exisiting studs, but as has been said, it depends exactly what you are going to do afterwards. Personally I would probably use screws, especially if I didn't have a nail gun. If you have a table saw and a little time you could rip 2x4's in half also, instead of buying 2x2's , unless the wall is only a couple of feet in which case it wouldn't be enough to worry about. Larry
Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I would run a bead of construction adhesive along the joint, and use at least of couple of screws or nails to hold the studs together undil the adhesive dries. Or, you could clamp them together if yuou have a lot of clamps just sitting around doing nothing else.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Carpenter's yellow glue will give produce a much stronger joint.

Reply to
Phisherman

A bead of Elmers is cheap and easy to do and it will be as stong as solid wood. Elmers is used on string instrument neck repairs that have alot of tension. I guess its for added R value? Look at 2x4 prices, R

40 walls are used in Sips, you really cant overdo insulation. R 3.75" x 7" is only R 26.25. and fiberglass looses alot when it gets real cold and we all hate paying the utility co.
Reply to
ransley