How far can a drawer slide out?

Hi,

Next to the fridge niche, I have space in the wall to install something like a slide out pantry. The bottom drawer will contain a trash bag and recycling bins. So I want the drawer on top of it to be separate (so that the smell doesn't go up). I want the second drawer to function as support for shopping bags while they are being unloaded into the fridge, so we don't have to bend our bad backs...

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way, what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

On 1/19/2009 11:12 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

Yes. Ball-bearing double-extension drawer slides. Even Home Despot has them (at least 'round heah). In fact, HD had the best selection of drawer slides of all the places I checked recently.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Mike Paulsen

On Jan 20, 1:12=A0am, Aaron Fude wrote: ...

I'd suggest considering leaving the drawer a drawer and putting in a sliding support platform specifically for the support function -- several alternatives. Use a regular set of heavy over-draw slides just on the board or there are ready-made inserts for heavy things like commercial mixers, pastry-rolling shelves (sturdy to take rolling forces), etc., ...

One possible source for ideas/hardware would be to look at Woodworkers Hardware online catalog -- woodworkershardware.com

--

Reply to
dpb

Google for drawer slides and you'll find manufacturers with variety of products and data sheets. Look for full extension slides. How far out they will go depends on the slide and cabinet depth.

Reply to
trader4

Get drawer slides that are rated for the weight you anticipate putting on them. Full extension slides capable of holding up to hundreds of pounds out to several feet are available. What you need is probably available at the local big box store.

Reply to
mkirsch1

All right, thanks for the responses.

May I then ask about the supporting frame. Will pine hold up over time our should I screw the slides into something harder. Also, is it a good idea to have a horizontal stud breaking up the wall into two pieces, top and bottom, kind of like this:

| | | |

- - - - - | | | |

as opposed to nailing one to the existing vertical studs:

I I I I T T T T

Not sure if I'm communicated my question well.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I don't see the relevance of the horizontal stud issue. The slides are attached to the cabinet frame sides and supported by it, not the wall behind. Any decent cabinets should certainly be able to support an extension shelf holding 2 bags of groceries.

Reply to
trader4

I won't have a cabinet. I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall. It least that's what I envisions so far...

Reply to
Aaron Fude

re: I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall

Your walls are 30" thick? Where do you live...Fort Knox?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

[...]

This I gotta see: a wall thick enough that you can pull a drawer 30 inches out of it. Must be some wall.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Think Murphy Bed.

No, that's not right...