Foundation piering/appraisal value

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Looking for past experiences and/or general feelings about the subject.

I have a house that has experienced flooding in the past leading to one half of the house settling causing foundation and wall cracks, door misalignment, etc. I am confident I can eliminate all but the most severe cases of excess water getting near the house by landscaping.

Here's the question. How will getting the settled part of the house piered, or not piered, effect the resale value? Will I get a dollar for dollar return on the repair costs when I resell? The estimates I had from a couple of years ago were in the $15,000 range. It has taken 2-3 years but the settling has stopped. I'm just wondering if spending that kind of money will remove the stigma already associated with the house or is it just a waste of money.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't know about stigma. I should think a complete job is the only thing worth doing. A small fee to an engineer would provide a report. It would give a plan of action. It could be shown to potential buyers and dispel any stigma. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

I would not buy the house from you wondering if $15K would fix it, and then subtract $15 from my offer, but I would offer the "full" price for a house that was already fixed.

-B

misalignment,

Already did the structural engineer report. He confirmed that the settling was caused by excess soil moisture. He also recommended piering. I'm just wondering if spending that money given the problems the house has had is going to bring it back to full market value.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Either way you are screwed. Your house value is crap either way because no one wants to buy a cracked and sinking house.

I agree that you will probably have better luck selling a COMPLETELY repaired (and documented/warranted) house than a busted one. Either way, you are going to lose your ass.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives