Flood damage

I just had a leak in waterline behind a bathroom wall in MY basement that we didn't know about until more than a foot of water filled up basement. The insurance adjuster came out and said we were covered and he approved and gave me an initial payment right on the spot However the payment for all that water clean up and damage seemed kind of low . Now we have found mold two weeks later and it's in the hvac duct and also on bottom of walls at three or four locations . And while pulling back the old paneling I found a large horizobtal rack hairline to about 1/8 in h width . Would these two items be something I should add onto to this claim or is my responsibility .

Reply to
Hil-5771

Outside chance on the mold _if_ you can show proper attempts to dry the place out quickly after the initial water damage I'd think but if you just let the place sit and dry out on its own I'd expect the insurance folks will say that's your problem. Much in these depends on the particular company and agent you're dealing with ime; some are much more amenable to working with you than others.

I don't see how the water leak would have any bearing on the cracks and they sound like basic normal occurrence so doubt if they are covered, anyway.

Must've been a full-blown break rather than just a small leak to have accumulated that much w/o knowing it...or were out of town or something?

Reply to
dpb

What is the rack, or do you mean crack, in? What is on the other side of the c-rack?

What would it take to repair it? STuffing an appropriate substance in the crack? How much could that cost. $100?

1/8" is not much. Houses get cracks when they settle. In my amateurish opinion, they don't get them when the flood, though a foot of water does weigh quite a bit.

My impression is that construction techniques have improved since 70 years ago and they usually don't settle as much as they used to, but I'm guessing.

Reply to
micky

I don't know about this case but the tube to my powder room toilet sprung a big leak while I was out for 2 or 3 hours. I'm lucky I got back when I did. Water pouring into the basement, tile unglued from the powder room floor. I put the tile back where it was and when it dried out, it was glued again!

Reply to
micky