Flicker free LED bulbs

Or child-proof. Required in many locations, including replacement receptacles for those locations. There are shutters where the blades go in so kids can't push in something like a paper clip. Push both shutters and they open for a plug.

Reply to
bud--
[snip]

You needed one of these! Note, they're discontinued but sometimes show up. They're perfectly matched for this type of issue.

danny burstein

My high school had a Strong Trouper follow spot. I ran it most of the time when it was used. The projection room had an exhaust fan and stayed about the same temp as the auditorium.

Our follow spot was AC. We also had a carbon arc 16 mm film projector that was DC. Both used the same rods. I think you are right about DC rods having one rod bigger. Don't know why the projector had same size rods. It might have fed one of them faster.

DC supply would be easy with semiconductors, but this was too early. The supply used tubes - probably gas filled.

Rods were about 1/4" dia and copper coated. As the rods burned the copper evaporated. Where did it go?

Reply to
bud--

Probably. The fridge was next to the toaster but not the same circuit. The ones near the sink were separated also. Overall, not a big deal as once we knew it the work around was easy enough.

I had a deck off the kitchen with an outdoor receptacle and the GFCI for it was the one in the downstairs bathroom.

Reply to
Ed P

So it would have been better with the dining room on a 15A general purpose circuit? There should be at least 2 20A kitchen circuits.

Reply to
bud--

CO2?

Reply to
Bob F

I suppose it's only very young children who do this, so young they can't remember it later, but FWIW, I don't remembher ever being tempted to put anything in a receptacle.

Reply to
micky

I wash my hair in the laundry tub. Sure beats a bathroom sink.

Reply to
Bob F

Looks like 16ga has a blue jacket, as opposed to white for 14ga and yellow for

20ga. I've never seen 16ga out in the wild but I guess it makes sense.

The guys who built my house wouldn't have been able to use it, however, since each room's lights and receptacles are on a single circuit, for the most part.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I sent my hair to the laundry to get washed a few years ago. Has not come back yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Same here. All these years later I hear a constant tone, but they call it tinnitus and blame it on my many years of working around running jet engines.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The NEC generally just covers new work. There has been a requirement for about 15 years that is, in effect, a retroactive requirement. When receptacles are replaced, the replacement must meet the requirements for a new receptacle at that location - replacement receptacles may have to be: tamper-resistant (child proof - easy to provide) corrosion resistance (outside, easy to provide) GFCI (receptacle or upstream protection) AFCI (receptacle or upstream protection) Some residential receptacles require GFCI + AFCI + tamper-resistant.

Tamper-resistant appears to be required for almost all residential 120V

15 & 20A receptacles.

I am confident everyone here has been using the correct receptacle when they replace one.

Reply to
bud--

Those receptacles are marked WR, right? I just installed a couple of outside receptacles that were marked TR WR (tamper resistant, weather resistant), with the GFCI function being provided by the breaker.

For sure.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I have that too, in one ear. Sounds like water running in a pipe. Didn't notice it until I was 45 or 50 and I went to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Part of the tour they make everyone be quiet so they can hear what quiet is like, and that's when I noticed it wasn't quiet in one ear, but I'm sure I've had it since I was 10 or 20 years old. One summer job when I was about 20 for a couple weeks with a jack hammer in a steel dome, but the hammer only was used for a minute or two every 20 minutes. I don't think that could have done it.

It was constant volume for years, but then got twice as loud, half as loud, and back to "normal" most of the time. I don't like it but it doesn't bother me much. I ignore it. Some people I hear have tinnitus so bad it drives them crazy.

Reply to
micky

That is good for the carbon. Where did the copper go? There was some white powder - is copper oxide white? Didn't seem like enough of it.

Reply to
bud--

That would be nice, and it's possible my kitchen has two (I'd have to check the labels in the breaker box). I know that one of the kitchen circuits also services part of the dining room.

The wiring in my house is a mare's nest. We've always wanted to rewire the entire house, but never seemed to find the time or energy to undertake it. The crawlspace (under the dining room, living room, and about two feet of the kitchen) is particularly hard on my husband, especially now that his shoulders are shot.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I wash mine with a face cloth! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Mine doesn't drive me crazy, AFAIK, but it's always with me.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yup. I'm no electrician and we pay for professionals to do any wiring.

The original owner always went above code if something was available. The 200amp panel is all 12ga. I have 2 220a and a spare unused for example. Adding an EV level 2 port could use the one for the old whole house AC (which is the spare).

Reply to
cshenk

Keep in mind modern code spec vs grandfathered. Outlets added will be gfi 20a. I added 1 to each bathroom and 2 in the kitchen.

Reply to
cshenk