Flicker free LED bulbs

Don't ever use a hairdryer?

Reply to
Bob F
[snip]

I would expect no problem distinguishing 25Hz sound from 60Hz.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

No, but I guess one could.

I was drivign around Florida 2 weeks ago and using public bathrooms, especially Wawa, and the handdryers there make so much noice, I really wanted to leave. Unfortunately it seemed I was usually in the middle of something and couldn't. They do seem to turn off faster after the party's hands are no longer there, but that's not enough.

Reply to
micky

Dusk to dawn lights and water heaters used to be 2 common "flat rate" non-metered loads. The water heaters that were "flat rate" were also rentals from what I recall.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Generally the switched outlets were "split" with the top hald switched and the bottom love. Very often done with a "drop switch" hung between the live feed and the switched feed. I connected quite a few ofd those working for "Pop" in the late sixties.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

In Canada and the USA you would have been taught wrong. VERY FEW outlets were fused at 20 amps prior to the late nineties? when kitchens required 20 amp countertop outlets instead of split 15s (at least in Canada)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Also allowed use oif "dirt cheap" (like $0.49) "contractor grade" 15 amp outlets (until the tamper-proof outlets became required by code)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

There were a lot of "Ward Leonard" Motor-Generator sets used in place of rectifiers for higher current DC requirements. I've seen them used for battery chargers on old electric forklifts and "mine locomotives" as well as for DC welders and their original use as speed controllers on machine tools etc. I believe they were also used for some arc lamps - but if your arc lamp used 2 carbons the same size it was running on AC. DC arc lamps used "Fat Anodes" to make the rods burn at the same rate.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

20 amps to handle hair driers etc. Lots of hair dryers are 1500 watts on their own. Also a lot of people use an electric space heater to warm up the bathroom. Again - 1500 watts is common for space heaters.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually, I should have answered better, earlier. I *know* the outlets in my bathrooms are not on the same circuit as the ceiling light or exhaust fan. Because they are all on the same breaker, the GFI. Which is 15A.

I have a couple hair dryers. One is pretty big I save it for shrinking heat-shrink tubing, etc. But I've found if I wait after washing my hair, but don't wait too long, before I come it, it comes out fine. AFAIC, only dudes blow-dry their hair.

Reply to
micky

TAmper-proof?

Reply to
micky

Don't tell me people blow-dry their hair in the laundry room. Now that is sick.

Reply to
micky

Not sure but think the NEC was just changed to allow even lower amps for the lights so that # 16 wire could be used as newer lights are mostly LED and need lots less amps for the same light.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I think that in the US devices are limiated to less than what the wattage of the breaker will stand at 120 volts. Maybe they can be 1500 watts and the circuit is able to be rated for 1800 watts for the 15 amp circuit.

I checked a space heater rated for 1500 watts and it shows up as 1384 watts at 120 volts. If the voltage would run up to 125 it may make 1500 watts. I checked a hair dryer a few years ago and it was somewhat below what it says on the dryer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip]

That probably means "hard to use", like it does with some bottles including the kind where the real cap is hidden under a fake cap that feels like it is ALWAYS loose.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Its 10A if you consider the voltage to be 125V.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Maybe they have a 120V dryer that needs 15A.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Also laundry. Bathroom is the most recent addition. Kitchen includes some other areas like dining room.

Residential doesn't have a limit on the number of receptacles per circuit but the load, based generally on area, should be distributed among the general use circuits, which can be 15 or 20A.

Duplex 15A receptacles can be placed on 20A circuits, and are rated 20A total from both sides and 20A wired in and wire out downstream.

I don't know where 1250 comes from.

But then you may need more circuits.

Reply to
bud--

In my last house, built in 1978, had 20A both kitchen and dining room. That does not mean it was a good idea though.

I had an 18,000BTU window air conditioner in the dining room. You could not run the AC and make toast in the kitchen though. Nine moths of the year is was OK. Both plugs on the same circuit. I could probably have moved the toaster.

Reply to
Ed P

That's an interesting approach, one that I've never seen.

Reply to
Jim Joyce