Flex Seal Flood Protection Commercial

I say a TV ad of what just looks like tape around the doors and windows of a house. It supposedly keeps a house interior dry even if the water around it is waist high or so. Yahoos version.

Dean Hoffman

If it works that well it would be amazing for people in flood zones. The potential savings in damages is tremendous. I wonder how well it will stick or what prep is needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, there's your problem right there. You shouldn't do that.

It is not an advertisment, nor is it a news story. It is a PR release from the company that makes the product. Take it with a grain of salt.

"This is going to help a lot of people" says Phil Swift, CEO, Inventor and Spokesperson.

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Always follow state and local warnings regarding evacuations. Never seal people or animals inside of a structure. Depending on the age and type of construction, there may be areas that cannot be seen or sealed. Unsealed porous surfaces, such as concrete, can seep water during extended underwater exposure. Not intended for flash floods. May leave residue or remove paint when removed.

Far better to build houses outside of flood zones.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

True. What should we do with the ones already there?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They get flood coverage once. The second time, they're on their own.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I couldn't help but think about all the ways flood or standing water can get into a house. Siding keeps rain oui partly because of the overlap. Any sort of leak in the foundation would let the water in the house to. rise to the outside level anyhow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This PR release is not much different, if at all, from an advertisement. Did they post it on Yahoo for free? Maybe. That woudl be the only difference I see.

He says this in the video.

He might have said this. ?

Only I think because you need time to put the tape on. People should know that pretty much without being told.

The video does show residue as it the tape is pulled off. It doens't shwo the caulk being removed. It would be a shame to mess up your house even a little if it doesn't flood where you are, but if it does flood, that residue is a small price to pay.

Flood zones are getting bigger, from what I hear. Not just coastal but inland.

I live next to a stream and when it floods, about once a year, the water has gotten to one inch from my property line. I don't have surveyilng equipment but I estimated how much higher it would have to go to get to the basment window and the hole where the AC pipes go in. I think it was

8 inches.

The higher the water gets, the harder it is for it to get higher, because it has the chance to spread out more. So I'm not worried.

I looked into flood insurance when I bought the place 39 years ago, and couldn't seem to find it, or I didn't know how to show that I was in a flood zone. No computer, just a telephone book. I decided I didn't want to be compensated, I wanted to avoid the damage in the first place, so I looked into renting a small excavator to widen the stream's channel** a little downstream from me. I think that would work. But since I wanted to do this when it was about to flood and I have to wait until they deliver it, since my car won't tow it. So that idea is out.

**It all goes through a 6' wide gorge about 400 feet downstream from me. but I guess it floods over the 8' high gorge so maybe there was little point to widening it.

Once the roar of the flooding water was enough to wake me up in the morning.

I did buy some of their tape to try to fix my garden hose reel, and I used it to patch my new synthetic birdbath that leaked after only one winter. It wasn't pliable enough to do good job on the reel, but if it stays there and deflects the spray, that will be good enough. We'll see if it works on the birdbath.

Reply to
micky

Some flood zones get larger because large areas are being built on and parking lots. The rain would sink in the ground and be slowed down. Now there is a quick run off of the water to some streams that never flooded before.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Press releases are not subject to Truth in Advertising.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Auckland New Zealand :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

That would be certain. House in flood prone area most likely not to have a basement.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But if the press release is on Fecesbook, Gaggle, yayhoo, pewtube, PBSNBC or other state controlled media, the content would be "fact-checked" for disinformation, right?

Reply to
The Fish Wisperer

Auckland is said to have received 75% of its usual summer rainfall in just 15 hours.

wOW. I wonder what would happen to my house if that happened here.

We must do something to reduce the number of Aucks.

Reply to
micky

Very good point.

I don't keep track of what else you've written but this apparently sarcastic, back-handed nonsense contributes nothing. If you have something to say, say it.

Reply to
micky

At the moment, the MSM family of companies only censor content that is counter to the official $bigPharma narrative.

The miracle caulking industry has not paid MSM enough to activate the disinformation fact-checkers.

Reply to
Su Nombre