Follow-up on Flex Seal rubberized tape

Follow-up on Flex Seal rubberized tape, advertised on tv a lot a few months ago.

It's strong, it's pretty sticky, but it wasn't suitable for what I wanted. OTOH, I still don't know what would have been more suitable.

It was flexible but didn't bend enough to be pushed into little places and also keep water from leaking. I have a garden hose reel that is leaking at 3 or 4 places, like where the hose screws onto the reel (which has all those little dips in and near the fitting.)

But it has, since applied in June, stayed in place and though it still leaks almost at much, the leaks don't spray out and get me and other things wet, because the tape is on top of them. Instead it dribbles or pours down out from underneath the tape.

Most years I don't use the garden hose that much, so the tape should enable me to use this reel for 3 or 4 more years until I find a good replacment.

micky

<snip>

I like your stories of finding useful things that have been abandoned on the sidewalk. Maybe you'll find a new hose reel next.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I already did. Two of them over the years. With hoses still on them**.

One is meant to be attached to the wall and I've drilled enough holes already. Even though they are in thhe mortar, I don't like drilling them.

The other is one of those cube shaped plastic things, but the top is stained so I was going to buy a new one. I'd waited too long I guess and they no longer sell the cube one, now they are tapered like a square pagoda. I really dislike them***. So I was going to buy on ebay where I thought I could get the old model, but I guess that was when I thought of using tape on the leaky one.

***Maybe I can paint the stained plastic top? If it would stay painted, it would be fine.

When the leaky one started leaking, I tried to find anothr just like it, so I could use the same holes. But everythign is plastic now, very little aluminum, and I coudln't find this one. So I went up in the attic where I store boxes that things come in to see who made the old one, but even with that I couldn't find another one. Then I took a piece of rubber and a hose clamp and I patched the first leak, but of course others were not far behind.

**(Plus a couple other hoses without reels. I dont' know why people throw these things away. One can always use another hose.)
Reply to
micky