Flex Seal edurance properties.

Curious about how Flex Seal is will mildew, chlorine bleach (hypochorite) and cracking? I surmise it is essential a polymerised version of bytyl rubber flashing. I have supported a rotted bath wall for five years using 10"x20" PVC shim sheeting, drywall mesh and white butyl rubber flashing. But I got further rot on the far side of the mid-tub soap dish which I repaired with regular silicone caulking and drywall mesh. It seems to be slightly sagging and I am not inclined to act until necessary. But my plan is to put another PVC shim sheet with flashing and to cover up some unsightly drywall mesh silicone patching above it (that I spray chlorine on every few days) with Flex Seal and spatula. Well until I can afford (both money and effort) to replace the rotted drywall and retile.

Reply to
vjp2.at

I am testing Flex Seal as we speak in my pool. Six months and it is holding. I have a cracked skinner and I have tried several things to piss on the fire (epoxy, 5200 etc). I squirted the flex seal in this spring, just trying to hold it until winter when I can lower the water in the pool and cut it out. It seems to be working as well as anything else.

Reply to
gfretwell
*+-I am testing Flex Seal as we speak in my pool. Six months and it is *+-holding. I have a cracked skinner and I have tried several things to *+-piss on the fire (epoxy, 5200 etc). *+-I squirted the flex seal in this spring, just trying to hold it until *+-winter when I can lower the water in the pool and cut it out. It seems *+-to be working as well as anything else.

Thanks. I need this to hold 3-5 yrs. I figure if it's the same but more advanced than flashing and flashing held for five years, I'm ok. But then you always want to be sure. I made one repair with ALEX on that bath wall and it sucks. So I need to ask around. THanks much!

I had a chum who died five years ago. He was a doctor but his parents were NASA polymer chemists. (I'm a chemical engineer. That guy breathed chemistry, it was like childs play and we had a lot of fun talking chemistry.) He told me all about elastomers. They are very cool but most contractors and stores don't really understand and they only have like one or two kinds. You can actually specify like five mechanical properties at formulation. I've used masonry elastomeric paint indoors where there are frequent leak cracks and it has held ten years. There is also elastomeric drywall mud but when unavailable (well, after Hurricane Ida, I found it had hardened useless), I've used ALEX (intende for window caulking, but I think dental temparin, temporary filling sold to consumers and also used by dentists is basically the same stuff). I bought but never used an elastomeric paint for van/bus roofs. I wanted to use it on my shigles but the risk is the overlap of the shingles is supposed to breath so moisture doesn't collect and if you seal that lip, the water stays inside. I might use the van paint on my collapsing toolshed.

When I made the initial flsahing/pvc repair in November 2016 I thought it would only last until spring. Shh, don't jinx me. But I panic every time i look at it.

Reply to
vjp2.at

That must look terrible and embarrasing. Skip the shower and take a bath intil you can rip and replace. Look at some diy showers. Not really expensive. Effort is key.

Reply to
Thomas

FlexSeal may not be resistant to chlorine bleach, the material data sheets are non committal but advise against it and promise nothing.

Now, your pool Chlorine is pretty dilute. Bath cleaner is regular bleach diluted four times, but it yellowed the acrylic ALEX.

Flashing is cool but it takes seven days to dry. I cover it with plastic but it ends up smelling soggy.

Reply to
vjp2.at