Flat rate electricity like water?

Oh, somewhere you are paying. Nothing is free.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Glad I don't live there.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why have a meter for that? Pay per person in the household. You'd pay a quarter of what they do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hydro power is a renewable resource, therefore very expensive. Go nuclear.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, I can choose between ME paying and EVERYBODY paying. If I had a water meter, I wouldn't recycle my goods if they needed washing.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

e:

use), why isn't the same true of electricity? Both cost the company more i f you use more.

try to turn the tap off immediately you've used it, don't want to water the garden, etc? Or you don't want to rinse out food containers for recycling , because you have to pay to do so? If I had to pay for my water, nothing at all would ever be recycled. I ain't paying for it!

I've never worked it out. I don't water the lawn. I water newly planted flowers for the first year. If it needs it I water my patch of garlic, but it's generally harvested before the really dry weather comes on.

I might, if I watered regularly.

to having metering is there? The only reason they put it there is to make people use less.

No, the purpose of the meter is to collect the costs involved in providing it. Under your system, owners of larger houses subsidize owners of smaller houses. We each pay for our own.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

No, under the current system in the majority of the UK, you pay depending on the size of your house. They just take the already calculated council tax band it's in. It's both fair, cheap (no meters to install/maintain/read), and modern (no worrying about water usage like we were living in the dark ages).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pay by meter. There is a minimum charge too. I pay about $200 per quarter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I asked WHY pay by meter. You're paying for the meter maintainence and reading.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

e:

rote:

ou use), why isn't the same true of electricity? Both cost the company mor e if you use more.

t, try to turn the tap off immediately you've used it, don't want to water the garden, etc? Or you don't want to rinse out food containers for recycl ing, because you have to pay to do so? If I had to pay for my water, nothi ng at all would ever be recycled. I ain't paying for it!

nt to having metering is there? The only reason they put it there is to ma ke people use less.

on the size of your house. They just take the already calculated council tax band it's in. It's both fair, cheap (no meters to install/maintain/rea d), and modern (no worrying about water usage like we were living in the da rk ages).

One person living in a large house subsidizes several people living in a small house. For that matter, one person living in a small house subsidizes several people living in a small house. How is that equitable?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Tragedy of the commons or, in your case, the common.

Reply to
rbowman

So are 35 million Canadians.

Reply to
rbowman

Same here.

He thinks because HE pays a flat rate that the rest of the world does too.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

There is not a lot of agriculture in Dubai and no we are not that rich. There is no real problem in using RO water for normal potable water uses in your home but nobody could afford food that requires hundreds of gallons per pound of food. Meat is even worse. The vast majority of our fresh water gets sprayed on crops and lawns.

BTW I just looked at the meter on my water system and I use about 180 gallons a day, just in the house, not including whatever we use outside for irrigation, the pool and whatever else.

Reply to
gfretwell

As they say Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over.

Reply to
gfretwell

Flat rate means you might be subsidizing someone else.  Stupid idea.

Reply to
Quirky

I don't pay for water and I still don't wash my trash.

Reply to
gfretwell

Because it's accurate. Meter reading is done remotely in my area. There isn't anyone walking through yards dodging ugly dogs. Water is metered and so is electricity. A lot of the irrigation wells in my area are powered by commercial electric power. Those are on load control for the most part. Farmers pay different rates based on how much load control the utility can exercise. A farmer who is shut off for two days pays less than a farmer who is shut off for a day. The wells are typically shut down from about 10 AM to about

10 PM. That's when the air conditioners in offices and homes are working at their peak.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sounds like you're running in a country with f*ck all resources.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But do you wash things you recycle?

Reply to