Fill dirt?

I need a yard or two of clean fill dirt to improve the drainage away from my home. How does an individual find local fill dirt? I've seen signs for free dirt now and then, but when I need it I don't know where to look.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Pick up the Yellow Pages. Look under "Dirt".

No, really. I mean it.

M "DIRT. see Excavating Contractors; also Landscape Contractors; also Sand & Gravel; also Topsoil"

Doug Miller

If you can use 5 to 10 yards, you might offer one of those excavating contractors the opportunity to off load at your sight free of charge instead of having to haul it miles away. My son hauls for a local excavator and I could get 10 yards anytime I want it but unfortunately my neighbors blacktopped the 400 feet of private lane that passes their houses on the way to mine and my son says his rig would probably break up the blacktop. They hired an outfit that just laid the blacktop down on top of the thin layer of crushed limestone that was there before. Tom

Reply to
Tom

Turns out there are web sites for this kind of thing. freedirt.com was the most productive for my area. Thanks, your tip got me started in the right direction.

Thanks for all the replies.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Just remember that there is usually a tremendous difference among the following items:

- Fill dirt (often clay, rocks, trash, etc.)

- Excavation material (usually hardpan clay)

- Topsoil

Good luck, Gideon

--

******** Bill Pounds
Gideon

Check if you have freecycle.com in your area. I just offered some myself in my locality.

bill

Reply to
bill a