Fertilizer

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus. This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't need phosphorus now? Or do they? What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that out of fashion?

Reply to
LSMFT

Phosphorus causes cavities.

Reply to
mm

wrote >>> Obvious bullshit. The act of sampling ..............

I'm rural, and we all call Bullshit......................fertilizer.

Actually any kind of Cowshit, Horseshit, or Sheepshit will do.

Reply to
Lefty

That's a chickenshit answer.

Reply to
Bob F

For the most part the first number is what grass uses to green up and grow. Best to do a few soil tests, then you can decide which fertilizer ratio is right for YOUR lawn. All plants need a little magnesium for optimum growth, but you can use epsom salts for that.

If your pH is below 6.5 add lime (500 pounds per quarter acre) and test again in 6 months. If you add lime when the pH is above 6.7, you're really wasting time and money.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you can arrange for a lot of lightning strikes, you can reduce the nitrogen needs somewhat

Reply to
hrhofmann

Chicken shit is the best!!!

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

Quite right but only if you rot it down first.

Reply to
harry

Reply to
harry

Spreads weed seeds, but works.

Get the dehydrated chicken manure in bags from a farm / feed store.

Fresh chickity poo poo will burn your plants.

Reply to
Oren