Faucet shuts tight, but water runs for about 10sec

My kitchen faucet shuts tight. However, after closing it the water continues to run for about 10 sec before stopping.

This started when the dishwasher was replaced yesterday. Any suggesttions for getting the faucet to work properly?

thanks axman

Reply to
axman22

Could be that debris has gotten in the valve. I suggest taking apart the faucet and giving it a good cleaning. Other than that I can't see how changing the DW could otherwise cause this problem. But since it occurred at this point it would be my first guess.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

What KIND of faucet, single handle or two knobs?

If two knobs, does it happen on BOTH?

How FAST is it running, just a thin stream or a good flow?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

two handles

both

How do you say- a pretty good stream but no pressure behind it

after a few seconds the stream quickly dwindles and then quickly stops.

I would say that the amount of water is what is in the spout that drains out. That water previously stayed in the spout.

I have cleaned debris out the screen; haven't opened up the faucet.

axman

Reply to
axman22

Try spraying your sprayer hose and purging the air out if it and see if the problem goes away.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

That must be one _very_ spout.

Reply to
Ether Jones

I went back and ran the sprayer more thoroughly this time, even checked under the nozzle. Apparently no effect. It does appear that I misestimated the run-on time- it is closer to 5sec than 10. the volume is about 2-4 oz.

Haven't figured it out yet.

axman

Reply to
axman22

Are the airator screens still in place? Any teenagers in the house with red eyes nowdays? ;)

Reply to
JohnH

The aerator screen rings a bell- itis in place. However, when I turned the water on a lot of rust came out. So I cleaned the aerator and flushed the pipes by watering the lawn. I am pretty sure I put the aerator back together. How can the aerator affect things?

thanks axman

Reply to
axman22

Red eyes? Aerator screens as contacts is now a fashion statement or am I not getting it?

Reply to
Sev

The aerator uses surface tension to keep water in the faucet. If not properly in place, water will drool past for a few seconds, just as you describe.

As for the "red eyes" statement - the brass screens inside aerators are sometimes "borrowed" to make bongs ;)

Reply to
JohnH