Problem: No water coming from kitchen faucet

I have had a problem with my kitchen faucet for months now, it seemed like there was air in the line. I could leave the faucet open and after a few minutes water would come out.

I have been out of the state for a few months and the water has not been used since, I returned yesterday and tried the faucet and nothing comes out at all. I replaced the faucet with a new one today but I still get no water.

The water is running fine in all the rest of the faucets and toilets and showers in the house except the one in the kitchen.

I know that at least some water is coming through the supply line because when I removed the hoses it had water in them.but nothing through the tap.

I haven't tried removing the hoses and checking the water pressure through the supply lines yet, I will do that tomorrow night after work.

My question is this , is there something that could be blocking the lines, and isn't the cold and hot lines seperate so why would both lines become clogged?

what is my best option? to call a plumber?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Skully

A shut off valve? Check the faucet screen - remove screen and see if ya clear the faucet water flow?

Oren

Oren

ice?

Reply to
CJT

Are you by chance on a well? And are the other sinks, toilets, etc on the same level and/or close by?

Reply to
eDeck.net

Where do you live...could the hot and cold lines have frozen in a crawl space under the sink cabinet floor?

Reply to
Tom

Was this water under pressure? Once it started coming out, how did you stop it? By closing the valve under the sink? Or was it coming out so slowly, just dribbling out when you bend the hose over that you didn't have to worry about it. If it's not under at least some pressure, it might not come out either the old or new faucet.

You're talking about hoses that are only one or two feet long? I don't think they are clogged. OTOH, if you are sure that the lines are not frozen, that would be the next logical step. What is the termperature under the sink, and whereever the water lines come from before they reach the sink.

Yes, they are separate. But if one could clog, the other could clog too. If one could freeze, the other could freeze too. The hot water lines are no warmer than the cold water lines about an hour after you stop using the hot water.

I don't remember how one is supposed to thaw water lines without making things worse. If they are in a warmer area now, that will do it. OTOH, if you've had time to buy a new faucet and install it, that's got to be an hour. If you had to go out and buy one, that must be two hours. And then it got to be tomorrow, Sunday, and I guess you tested before posting. It's night now. Tomorrow will be two days. Surely if it is warm enough, they will have thawed by then.

If they are cold, don't let them get colder or they might burst. A friend had a new house, and they ran a water line up the outside wall near the kitchen door. The first winter, it burst. Turns out they had put the insulation between the pipe(s?) and the inside wall.so they got almost as cold as it was outside. The builder paid the expenses, but probably won't in your case.

Run the hot water in some bathroom until the water gets hot. Then go to the water heater and feel the out put pipe. Keep moving your hand until the line splits. Follow both lines. Eventually one will be very cold. Post back with details.

mm

Stop leaving the water on for so long. It's a precious commodity. Tom

Reply to
tom

just north of Atlanta, its not a freezing problem

Reply to
Skully

If not the faucet itself, it could be the multi turn valves the supply lines are connected to have clogged. They can be fixed but for $5 you can buy a new one at HD and put it on yourself. It should be threaded onto a pipe whether copper or steel pipe. Replace it with a ball valve type and it won't happen again.

You can get a plumber but it is also a DIY if you have a pipe wrench, some teflon tape and a little muscle.

Bad flow at hot AND cold? I guess both valves could have worn out together. Perhaps someone overtightened them at one time.

Reply to
PipeDown

Then let us know what the problem is when you find out.

mm

Ive just gotten my internet back on after getting moved but the problem was air in the lines. I left the faucet open for @ 15 minutes one morning and finally the water started running and has been working fine since then.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
Skully