Factoids from my 5-say trip

Wednesday morning at 9 or 10AM, in Williamsport, Pa., it was only 75^ out but the sun was so strong it burned on my neck and I had to put the top of the car up. I have never encountered sun this hot before. The Little League World Series museum was closed on Tuesday and Wednesday, but I did see the stadiums. (By coincidence, right across the street from the motel.) Later in the trip one evening it was 7:30 and the top was down and it was 73^ and yet it was cold. Go figure.

I got 28mpg with my 2005 Toyota Solara with the top up. Pretty good, IMO, especially since the car has 150,000 miles. 3.3L V-6. Only 26.2mpg with the top down, but it's not aerodynamic anymore and it's always going to be less. I avoid superhighways and most of the driving was at 55-65mph.

Because I avoid superhighways, I took US 30 back from Pittsburgh and just as the sun was setting, I saw a sign for the Flight 93 Memorial. I wanted to go there but forgot and I didn't realize it was on this road. There were two cars there when I got there and one more came later. The memorial is well done, designed so that people won't walk onto the "debris field." There were informative signs and a small temporary stage and 80 folding chairs set up. It took me 30 minutes to realize Saturday when I was there was 9/9 and 9/11 was in two days. https://www.google.com/maps/search/flight+memorial+pa/@40.0567688,-78.8943447,13z?hl=en&entry=ttu

One more factoid about the dash lights. One night I got tired and took a nap in the car, but with the radio playing. There's a 2-stop method in the radio to turn off the radio map screen, and there's a setting on the headlight control to turn off the headlights and the dashlights. But doing all that still left the lights on for the 3 instruments above the radio**. Another example of how separate they are from the speedometer cluster lights (which were off by now) even though both turn on when it gets dark out. (But in the day time when I put 3 layers of tape over the photocell in the dash near the windshield and 4 layers of black t-shirt over that, only the speedometer cluster lights go on. Not just in my car but in the car of the guy I found at the grocery store who let me in his car to check.) So there must be two kinds of darkness, one for the photocell in the dash and one somewhere else. **(the trip computer, the clock, and the thermometer).

Reply to
micky