Exterior siding

My home is covered in a brick look siding one siding installer said it was from the 60s, another called it insulite brick siding. Do they make this anymore?

Reply to
ChristinaMac

If you do find a company that makes them be sure and check they are not made in China.

Reply to
redzap78

One tradename for this asphalt siding is Insul-Brick. It came in rolls; it was quite common on the cheaper-built homes here in southern Ontario - circa 1940's, 50's, maybe early 60's. A google search implies that it came in sheets or panels also do note - It might contain asbestos. I haven't seen it used or sold, in my memory - I'm over 59 .. ... so getting a bit forgetful. ... what was the question again ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

replying to hubops, Christinamac wrote: Thank you so much john t. Mine came in panels, I actually found a few replacement panels and edges in attic. I was missing a brand name, thanks so much for your help.

Reply to
Christinamac

Insul Brick siding is uninsurable most places today. Hasn't been made in North ASmerica for over 40 years. I know a LOT of houses where it has had to be stripped off and replaced with something like Vinyl siding in order to get a mortgage.

Reply to
clare

Virtually all "insul Brick" was panel - basically a "tentest" siding with a gravel type coating like roofing, printed and stampoed to look like red brick. There was some that looked like grey stone as well. It is extrremely flamable - with wood fiber or straw compressed and bound with asphalt cement.. It, along with Johns Manville asbestos tileboard was the "default" siding on wartime homes here in Ontario. These houses were really designed as 40 or 50 year buildings, and most are now 70 years old and counting.

Reply to
clare

My early childhood home was ~ 1940's cheapo and was sided with an asphalt brick-look material that we called insul-brick. I assume that it came in large rolls - perhaps not - but it was only about 2 feet high and seemed to run for very long stretches between joints - not just 4 or 8 feet. A few of our neighbours had the same type of siding, but in different colours. When I was a lad of 6, my father built a large addition to the tiny old house and had it all freshly re-sided, and that siding remains to this day .. yep - Johns-Mansville. John T.

Reply to
hubops