Explosives: Tree stump removal

It still would be iffy. It has to be tightly confined to explode or needs a detonator.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Buying fuel oil and fertilizer will bring you to their attention, regardless of the outcome.

Scott Lurndal

Nitrogen just wants to be free.

Scott Lurndal

Not if you have a lawn and a deisel truck or oil furnace - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That is one cool compound and I am surprised that it is not the most shock sensitive one.

I worked with many sensitive materials with less nitrogen content that were probably more explosive. Don't know how many people ended up in the hospital deviating from the safety precautions in our published procedures. My lab partner got twenty stitches in his head when he messed up on one.

With pure ammonium nitrate there is an extra oxygen atom which means explosion product not only contains water and nitrogen but also nitrogen oxides. Small amount of fuel oil additive would scavenge this oxygen in a cleaner explosion.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's just chemistry.

"Diazotization and subsequent dimerization of the triaminoguanidinium cation gave 1-diazidocarbamoyl-5-azidotetrazole."

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I had enough of that sort of thing back when you could get iodine crystals at the drugstore to make nitrogen triiodide. That gave a new meaning to purple haze when it blew.

Reply to
bowman

Never got that sophisticated. We had to go to different drugstores to get the ingredients for gunpowder though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Terrorists like making acetone peroxide with easily available acetone from the hardware store and peroxide from the drug store.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

We did. My mate's mum was the chemistry teacher in the private high school.

We didn't.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

The drugstore down the street was happy to sell me 1 lb boxes of saltpeter and flowers of sulfur. I assume he knew what I was up to but in that era kids were expected to blow stuff up. Crushing the charcoal was messy though. The light damned in a seventh grade science class. C12H22O11 -- lot of available carbon there and the water will take care of itself.

A little low on brisance but putting the mixture in a Cristy Dry Gas can made a very satisfying display.

It was much later in life that I learned about rocket candy.

Apparently the sulfur wasn't necessary but certainly added to the visuals.

Reply to
bowman