Explosives: Tree stump removal

Crafty wrote in news:Xns9433E99EEA65n@63.223.8.240:

Yeah,like that will work.Might shoot the cork a good distance.

When using explosives,one must consider where the debris will fly. (possible damage to property,especially other's) Blasting inside city limits also is a no-no.

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate prematurely. A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I already have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Reply to
Crafty

All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives. Something explodes because it is in a confined space. A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping the cork. Frankly, I cannot BELIEVE that people haven't told you about the most common way to make an explosive, but perhaps it's so they don't want to share it with a few dozen teenagers looking for a way to blow something up.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Okay, again, I wasn't aware that there were explosives training classes. Where did you go to school, Afghanistan? I am not a teenager, either.

Reply to
Crafty

Go down to the local pharmacy and get a bunch of salt peter, drill holes in the stump, and pour the salt peter into the holes. The roots will then dry out and start to rot.

prematurely.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

HD has stuff called "Stump Out" which is salt peter. It will speed rot. Also, you could easily cut the stump out a few months after application.

EJ

Reply to
EJ

Ammonium nitrate at the farm supply store, with diesel fuel to increase effect by a factor of 10, with a shotgun shell as detonator. It's what they used to "blow stumps". Oklahoma bombing used about 5,000 pounds of it.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

You did it now! Son the black helicopters will be flying over your home!!!

When the Oklahoma bombing took place some people were shocked to find out about the mix for the bomb. Someone even mentioned to me as to how people find out about stuff like this. I mentioned one such conversation to my Dad and he reached into his file cabinat and showed me some information he has had for years on mixing and use of the fertilizer/diesel fuel mix. The sheet had the address where it came from, I forget the specifics, but it came right from a county goverment office, and it was given out to farmers with the intent for ues to blow stumps, ditches, and watering holes for livestock. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thats not correct. Smokeless powder is not an explosive, it burns very fast and when it is confined has explosive properties due to the rapid expansion of gases. Blackpowder, on the other hand IS explosive and needs no confining to make it so. A hand full of smokeless powder can be touched off with a match and will only burn, admittedly very fast and you may loose some eyebrows, but a hand full of blackpowder would take your hand off when a match touched it.

I would not recommend either method.

The most common method and one we used when was working on a pipeline is ANFO.

But trying any of these is unsafe and probably would earn you a comfortable stay in a warm place with 3 meals a day, hospital or jail.

Reply to
bighead

Yeah, before posting it I did a search and verified that the same information is readily available. Such as

in view of the "Homeland Security" stuff nowadays, and since the original poster obviously didn't get told how to do it at his local country store, I suggest salt peter to rot it out, instead.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Rent a stump grinder. I wouldn't play with gun powder. It can scare you for life and then you'll be blind (or worse) with those pesky stumps still standing. I think it'll cost you about 60.00.

Reply to
Houseslave

Crafty wrote in news:Xns9434733A63AAcrafty@63.223.8.240:

Do you know the laws regarding "destructive devices"? and the penalties for making them?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Greg O" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Last report I saw about OKC was that it was AN/nitromethane mix,not ANFO. (NM used as Drag-racing or RC car fuel)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

As in when a cartridge in a gun is supposed to fire, and the "cork" (lead) pop out through the barrel, but doesn't and causes the gun to "explode"?

As when a blackpowder M-80 is put into a mailbox, and the door doesn't "pop" open to relieve the pressure, but the mailbox is destroyed?

Things explode all the time although they have a relief channel.

Where did you go to explosives school? I think you should ask for a refund. What state do you live in? (other than the state of confusion) I want to avoid that state in my travels.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"bighead" wrote >

Buying ammonium nitrate fertilizer and fuel oil is illegal now?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hi. This week I'm an explosives expert. And you've just described the feeling and effect I get when I pull the gerbil's head out of my rectum. Oooohh. I can only imagine having a tree stump in my ass! Ohh babeee!

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

When the Erie Canal was built they used an interesting device to remove tree stumps. The program that I saw showed a computer generated image of the device, which consisted of two wheels about 10' in diameter with an axle between. A chain was wrapped around the axle, and down around the stump. A team of horses were attached to heavy ropes around the wheels and the horses were "encouraged" to pull on the wheels. The axle turned with the chain pulling up on the stump. It was explained that this method was quite effective and used extensively.

Reply to
indago

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Sounds like Excedrin headache #712,if the spike lets go :o)

Reply to
norminn