Electrical advice-30A circuits

[snip]

It's a unit of energy. Where the energy is is irrelevant.

They can measure the Calorie content of food by burning it and measuring the heat produced. This isn't in anyone's body.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Nobody uses calories outside of the human body. We'd be better using watts everywhere though.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Watts tells you the cost of running but not the cooling capacity. I supposed I could talk about the SEER but that might just confuse you more.

Reply to
gfretwell

Of course watts tells you the cooling capacity, it's a measure of power. In fact isn't the BTU energy, like a kWh? That cannot be used to tell how powerful a heater or air conditioner is. You need to know the rate of energy transfer, ie. power. My gas boiler is rated in kW. If I had an air conditioner, it could tell me how many kW can be moved.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It is just going to create a confusion factor. That is why when I looked at a UK air conditioner calculator, it out putted BTU/hr along with KW. The watts consumed by the unit is not particularly related to the amount of heat it can move. It all gets down to the efficiency of the process (SEER) so using watts would result in two "watt" numbers if you used it for both factors. Salesmen simply find it easier to use watts for the energy consumption and tons or BTU for the amount of heat it moves for that amount of input power. More common is to sell by the ton and deal with the energy consumed by using the SEER number. Customers understand they may need 3 tons and will shoot for the balance between a lower price and a higher SEER. They won't see KW until they start getting electric bills but we also have a government mandated sticker that will estimate that for all sorts of things.

Reply to
gfretwell

Using watts for input and output lets you see the efficiency.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

Watts, calories, BTU, etc... are units of energy. They can be used to measure electricity. They can be used to measure heat.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This may be of interest:

Jeff

James Wilk>

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Looks like there are advantages to all sorts of frequencies, depending what you're doing with it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense about Calories being only in the body.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

For a real eye opener, look up 'arc flash protection ratings'. The protective equipment is rated in claories/sq cm.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know someone with a sign outside her house saying "beware of crack flashes". I think that means something somewhat different though.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:38:43 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

te:

in the science. =C2=AF\_(=E3=83=84)_/=C2=AF

I only remember that in Biology. And it was to work out the calorific v= alue of foods.

-- =

The word "gymnasium" comes from the? Ancient Greek "gymnos" (naked) and = "zein" (to train). So literally the word "gymnasium" means a "building for naked exercise".=

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A calorie was originally a metric BTU, the amount of energy it took to raise a gram of water 1 degree c. They had some inflation when we started using it to describe food so it became the amount of energy to raise a kg of water one degree c.

Reply to
gfretwell

rote:

n in the science. =AF\_(?)_/=AF

c value of foods.

Yes and they are both called calories, very stupid. Officially they are= kilocalories, but they get called calories aswell.

-- =

A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That is a K Calorie

Reply to
clare

Yup but it underwent a Mexican Peso style revaluation because nobody wanted to think a can of Coke would be 150,000 calories.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

That last one is a kilocalorie, often written as Calorie (capitalized).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd