Electrical advice-30A circuits

[snip]

My cooktop is on a 30A breaker. I have measured the current (clamp meter at the panel), and it is a little over 30A with all elements on high, although that it unlikely to happen in normal use.

I remember electric stoves with 120V outlets on the control panel.

[snip]

I have a 100A main breaker, but the A/C compressor is connected to a separate 50A breaker (new unit is more efficient, and should need less than half that).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That only uses about a kW?

At 240V presumably. Not much higher than our 30A. And there are a fair number with double width cookers (two ovens, six hobs).

We do too. Gas isn't everywhere.

Same here.

Some have those aswell.

I see. Although I can ask for more if I want it. I believe I can even get three phase.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That only uses about a kW?

At 240V presumably. Not much higher than our 30A. And there are a fair number with double width cookers (two ovens, six hobs).

We do too. Gas isn't everywhere.

Same here.

Some have those aswell.

I see. Although I can ask for more if I want it. I believe I can even get three phase.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why is it measured in tins? They can't weigh that much.

Since those things are about 400% efficient, that means you can cool your house with the power of 15kW!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Same here, but with the oven and grill and 4 hobs.

For plugging in mixers etc?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

I suppose, although behind a hot cooking vessel wouldn't be the best place to have a receptacle. My grandmother used to have a stove like that, although I don't remember her ever using the receptacle.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They didn't used to do all this over the top health and softy. Besides, you'd probably mix the food, THEN cook it....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

More like 6kw

You are going to be looking at 50 or even 60a then

My electric heat strips are 10kva.

My welder is 48a but the whole shop really runs in 60 since I am a one man operation and I only run one or 2 things at a time. The spa alone is 70a with 11kva of heat and a 2,5 HP jet motor and a

3/4 HP circulation motor that loafs along at about 1/10HP in standby mode when it is not in use..
3p is rare here in residential. I don't even have 3p on the pole outside.
Reply to
gfretwell

That is the standard size. They generally have a 22-23a heating coil and a 1/4-1/6 hp motor plus an insignificant controller load..

Reply to
gfretwell

"Ton" is just A/C speak for 12000 BTU.

Reply to
gfretwell

He is just talking about a unit with the "hobs". The oven would be separate.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think the idea came from the olden days when there were never enough receptacles in the kitchen. They are not as common now.

Reply to
gfretwell

A ton is the amount of heat removed by an air conditioning system that would melt 1 ton (2000 lbs.) of ice in 24 hours.````

A ton is the cooling capacity of an air conditioning system. One ton is equal to the amount of heat required (288,000 Btu) to melt one ton of ice in a 24-hour period. A one-ton air conditioner is rated at 12,000 Btu per hour (288,000/24). A two-ton unit would be rated at 24,000 Btu per hour.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some people have it here if they do industrial stuff.

Sure? The way it's done here, I'm on phase one, my neighbour is on phase 2, and the other neighbour is phase 3. They alternate to spread the load of the transformer. Your nearest transformer must have three phases, where do they go?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We tend to wash 5kg of washing, then dry it for about an hour and a bit. I guess your dryers are faster. Why the hurry?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Must be bigger hobs than me, or more than 4 then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Seems an odd figure. Is it 100 or 1000 of something else?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I see.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So completely nonsensical when trying to work out how much it'll cool air in a house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

IIRC it has something to do with a ton of ice.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd