electric jacket driving me crazy- help!

No, not burning up so please don't panic! Sorry if this is OT, but this is one of my most active groups and I see a lot of sort of OT at times. I just figured someone might know what I'm about to mention.

I made an electric jacket from some spare Teflon coated wire. I was going to do this 20 years ago, but was too busy working. Now that I'm not, I threw it all together a month ago.

Basically, the coats I used are what I had on hand. I say coats, because there are two: the first coat has the Teflon wire sewed throughout and the second coat is worn over top of the first to help keep the heat from escaping. The type of coats are simple, cheap fleece/ poly I picked up at Walmart last season.

However, I'm running into a problem that is sort of driving me up the wall: I feel like I'm wet or sweaty all the time! I keep checking to be sure and there is very little, if any sweating, but it sure feels like I'm "wet" but yet fairly warm. I wonder if I should have used something as a base coat OTHER than fleece like, for example, a thin coaches jacket which is mostly a solid poly outer with thin cotton lining.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I just figured someone out there might have done the same thing, or maybe wears a commercial electric coat for personal or even motorcycle use.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
JNT

A couple questions that might help. Where are the heating wires? Do you have a good, old fashioned, heating pad around? Is it a similar effect?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

He should have used cotton - the instructions I saw for this project used a lined cotton vest - the poly shell is trapping moisture . To the OP : I also suggest you either build (you seem handy...) or buy a PWM controller for that heated jacket . It should NOT be warming your body , it's job is to offset heat loss . I found that warming my extremities was much more effective at maintaining core temps when riding - I assume you're using this for motorcycle or snowmobile riding - in extreme temps .

Reply to
Snag