Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Li batteries are reckoned to last about tens years with 80% of capacity remaining IF they are well looked after.

Technology is constantly evolving, hopefully prices will reduce.

BTW lots o fLi was found in Afghanistan. Any connections?

Reply to
harry

True. Makes driving very boring. Another reason not to drive. The UK is only 800 miles long. Everywhere is close.

Reply to
harry

Hmm. You can see why they're expensive.

Reply to
harry

1/ezgo1rt4.jpg/sr=1

Putting a kit together needs little knowledge. And a golf cart is a nothing. Has a golf cart got regeneration for example.?

Reply to
harry

Better than being slaves to US banksters.

Reply to
harry

Hungary=hillbillyland. There is more culture/history than the USA However he's right about long drives. The USA is full of nothing. Especially in the middle. This is the reason they sit in their themed basement/bars drink chemicals (which they think is beer) and play with their guns and talk about cars.

Maybe in a thousand years you might have a little culture.

I can look up now and see 2000 years of history . There are twenty odd places of interest within twenty miles. Many you could spend days exploring. And if you drive, the roads are interesting.

Reply to
harry

Is that the only vehicle you possess? I bet you go shopping with your pickup filled with trash in the back.

Reply to
harry

Ah. The area first colonised, hence the most civilised:-)

I expect they still have wagon trains in the midwest. Or they remember them at least.

Reply to
harry

I don't have any pie-in-the-sky idea that the electric car will solve the world's problems. Whatever gave you that idea? Beats the hell out of me how they're gonna generate all the electricity. My solution would be to build a shitload of nuke powerplants in Alaska and send the power South. I doubt that will happen but I don't believe that the technical problems are too big to solve. We built a frickin' interstate highway system out of practically nothing, didn't we? Now that must have seemed like an impossible task at the beginning.

Reply to
dsi1

I expect horse wagon drivers said much the same thing once upon a time when ICE engined trucks appeared.

Reply to
harry

I have an I-miev. The cab can be pre-heated (or pre-cooled) whilst on charge. Use of heating/cooling whilst in motion significantly reduces range

The batteries are cooled whilst on charge because (with the Leaf) there were issues of rapid battery deterioration in hot climates. (Like losing 80% of range in a year)

Reply to
harry

So which car will they fit in?

Reply to
harry

The guys that complain about the deficiencies of the electric car must think that the gas-powered internal combustion engine vehicles sprang up fully developed in the early 20th century. The reality is that it took about 50 years to get it right. Those guys deserve to drive horse carts. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

True more of the USA than Europe.

Reply to
harry

One Kwh takes me five miles in my car. Optimum conditions.

Reply to
harry

When I took the kids with me, it was always July/August. Lately it's been September/October. When I stay beachside the rates are good, but I don't like traffic, and heard it's quite worse in winter. I only stay by the water, in "resort type" areas. Got to swim and fish. Heat doesn't bother me much anyway. Spent my young years in boilerooms, steel mills and heat treating. I don't think I'll ever go to Florida in the winter, unless I move there. Wouldn't mind that at all. Many years back a guy I worked with went in January for a couple weeks. Vero Beach. I was happy for him, because he was really talking up sun, sand and beer. He never got his jacket off down there. Think that's when I decided to never vacation there in the winter, even farther south. For a vacation of sun, sand and beer, jackets are a bummer. I'm looking for temps in the 80's, but 90's work too. The trees I find to park under are usually at a far side of the parking lots. Often just enough shade to filter the sun from half the car. But it works wonders.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It's not "thinking" at all, just fact. Of course the 47% can't take advantage. By the time prices come down enough for them to afford Volts and solar arrays on their homes - if ever - the subsidies won't be necessary, and won't exist. I'm talking about the low-income part of the 47%, not these folks.

The average Volt buyer has about $170k annual household income. So I think we agree.

Tax structures have been designed to influence public behavior for ages. 401k contribution exemption to encourage people to feed Wall Street, low cap gains taxes, etc., etc. Subsidies to encourage this or that behavior. It nearly always works too when they hand the money out. I recall you went for that cash-for-clunker deal, right? It doesn't even have to make financial sense, just help it along. Like folks buying stuff they have no real use for, because "it's a steal." Happens all the time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I've read posts about the pre-heating and pre-cooling options on the Volt forum. The Volt computer controls are real geek stuff. The "pre" stuff really seems to have limited value to me. Seems akin to "overclocking" chipsets. But geeks are geeks. I've got my own geek habits. GM hit a sweet spot with Volt all-electric range. More than the average U.S. commuter. Keeping an ICE was brilliant. No "range anxiety." We'll see how the package holds up and where the price goes. And where gas prices go. Except as a commuter car or grocery-getter, pure electric won't work well here without a battery swap-out infrastructure. Too many trips exceeding battery range.

Reply to
Vic Smith

In mainstream America, I don't see that airplanes idea taking off.

I can imagine golf carts. I've seen enough of those.

.

I saw a TV show about a palce in California were most residents own planes, have garages to put them in, with streets wide enough to get them home from the landing strip.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who pays for the subsidies? What gives you the moral authority to force other citizens to pay for Volt drivers cars? Using the force of the IRS to take my money to pay for someone else's car?

Why would you want a plug in a parking lot? Plug goes on the car, socket supplies the power. Martin sounds like a dreamer with little grounding in or connection to reality. He's in for a shock.

Lets take a couple hundred bucks from Martin to help buy my next work van, shall we?

Christ>

Who pays for the electricity they use?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon