"Dual" brand Car Stereo (any good)?

On 10/5/2016 1:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I suggest that you look at www.crutchfield.com and then give them a ring if you've more questions. They can help you get the installation options, if any, that you'll need. They are a pleasure to deal with.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote on 10/5/2016 :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namsung_electronics
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 16:51:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I put a Dual in my '96 Ranger a couple years ago and have been VERY satisfied. No idea what kind of warrany - but if it works what good is the warranty? And for what I paid for it - and what it would cost to ship it to the repair depot - I'd likely just replace it again. I paid about $50 canadian including a pair of decent speekers I didn't need or use.

You WILL need the DIN adapter kit to install it - and the "power adapter" is just a set of plugs to fit the OEM harness - you splice the wires from the dual's plugs to the "adapter" plug. - and yes, the USB plug is capable of charging a cell phone (5 volts 1.5 amp?)
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 23:31:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's a good recommendation.....

I'm not sure where to buy the DIN adaptor. Walmart has them for Chrysler, but they dont mention Plymouth in the description on the package. Just Dodge and Chrysler as well as Jeep.
This stereo is thinner than the factory radio. I'll probably end up cutting some pieces of plywood the size of the hole, screwing the plywood to the dash, and slipping the radio in between this plywood and shooting in a few screws. It wont be pretty, but as long as it works. If I ever sell the car, I'll probably remove the stereo and put the factory one back. Most people dont like buying something that's hacked up, and will pay more for the car with the factory radio even if it dont work well.
As for the wiring, you're saying I need a plug to fit the factory plug, and will need to wire that plug to the wires in the back of the stereo, RIGHT? I thought they made special adaptors that will fit any stereo to any car. But splicing wires is fine with me. I just need to find a place to buy the right plug. Ebay I suppose will have it.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 12:29:59 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Someone suggested Crutchfield. They've been around for 40 years, selling car stereos and similar and are a good source of info, ie what fits what and how to get it in.
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 23:26:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Thats because a plymouth doesn't exixt any more and was virtually identical to the Dodge anyway.. Buy the kit for the Dodge Caravan of the same year - I believe it was the same kit for the Chrysler Town and Country and half the rest of Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth products of the same era.. I just did some checking and ALL chrysler radios from 1985 to 2000 are physically interchangeable - and virtually all are also plug compatible - so buy the mounting kit and wiring kit listed for a 1996 grand caravan and go for it!!!!
Don't believe me? Go to http://www.allpar.com/stereo/head-units/ and check for yourself....

replying to Paintedcow, 🐈 Guy wrote: I don't like it and I'll further explained after answering some of your questions. The USB works great for playing MP3's and is okay for charging your phone although it doesn't put out as much power as you can get from just a cigarette lighter higher-end USB charger. The stereo sounds good if not great and I am quite pleased with the sound quality. I do have higher end speakers and it doesn't put out enough power that my speakers can handle but it sounds great. Now to the parts I don't like! When listening to FM stations the sound muffles in and out as if someone is turning the treble way down and then way back up and I cannot figure out a way to stop this. It does have a local for the FM band but either setting local or not, it does not fix the problem. Next, the USB playing MP3's works fine there is a search feature which is quite confusing but while playing the USBs if you want to see the clock you have to push the display button seven times. When that track or MP3 is finished it goes back to the track title display, and then you have to push the button seven times again to see the clock. If you do stream Bluetooth from your phone which is one of the main reasons I bought the phone the only thing on the display is a AV Stream, that's all and you cannot even go to the clock. It doesn't matter what button you push it will not display the clock when you are streaming Bluetooth. Next, I wanted to have my friend pair his phone to the stereo so I unpaired my phone and the display was stuck on the AV Stream and would not allow him to pair his phone. I have to go into the settings manually turn off Bluetooth then turn it back on and he was able to pair his phone with Bluetooth. I repeated that process 3 times and could not get it to unpair his phone then pair my phone without having to manually go in and turn Bluetooth off and then back on. Whether I can find my receipt or not it is getting taken back! I will spend the extra $30 or pay full price for a new stereo in the very near future. Probably a lower end Pioneer that actually has Bluetooth capabilities because that is the main feature I want. To some things up the blue display Lighting on the stereo is rudely bright and is not dimmable.
On Sat, 20 May 2017 03:44:03 GMT, � Guy

Have one in my old Ranger. For a CHEAP stereo, it's not bad to my tin ears.