dryer squeaks

The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube it?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Likely you just replace the belt. Easy to do and cheap. A couple of screws along the bottom of the front opens it right up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Model#, approx age??

The "drum" won't likely squeak...but the drum support wheels may. Belt won't squeak either...idler pulley and motor are next common trouble makers.

Lube -usually- won't last long and may attract dust/dirt. Replacing the effected part(s) is usually best.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

FWIW my GE dryer started to squeek mightily and an open up and look see revealed a safety pin stuck in the felt front drum "bearing" strip. It was being rubbed on by the drum's bearing surface.

Probably, because over 30 years ago I got in the habit of using safety pins to join my dirty socks at the toes before I tossed them in the laundry bin.

Don't trouble yourself telling me they make plastic gizmos for holding pairs of socks together in the wash, I know that already. But, safety pins work well enough for me and one squeeking dryer drum in all those years is below my cutoff limit anyway.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I don't know how common it is, but belts can cause a squeak, at least mine did. Replacing the belt and nothing else cleared up the noise. I might add that the belt did need replacement and if the OP's original belt needs replacement then doing so is a good free (it is due anyway) idea. If it does not work, at least you got a new belt.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Remove the mice !!!!! (Be sure to wear gloves, they often do bite)

Reply to
believeitornot

The little idler wheels in the back of the drum are the usual suspect. Dry silicone or graphite helps. For awhile.

Usually a PIA to get the dryer apart.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My 10-year-old dryer I got for free from my in-laws' old house starting squeaking at 15 years of age. I ignored it (which is free, too). It's now 30 years old and still squeaks. But it still works, too. And it still doesn't cost me anything extra.

Reply to
nielloeb

Imagine how long it would last if you shot some lube onto that squeaking idler pulley axle ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne