Dryer Leaves Marks

I have a Maytag Neptune gas dryer Model MDG9700AWW that is only 7 months old. It is leaving brown marks on clothing. Not every load is marked, and not every piece of clothing--about one or two items every 3 loads. The marks are about 1/8 inch wide and vary from 1 to 2 inches in length. This problem has developed over the last couple of months and was not present before that. There are no rusty or dirty surfaces inside the drum, and the marks are not scorch marks. Rewashing the item usually removes the stain, but not always. The authorized service technician came and examined the dryer and recommends replacing the drum with its attached felt seals. When it was disassembled I noticed two things: 1) There was a "shiny" spot on the metal piece that supports the front of the drum, where the drum would overlap the metal frame, and 2) There seemed to be a brownish "ring" around the front felt seal about the same width as the brown marks on the clothing. The technician observed that the front felt seal seemed more "worn" than it should for 7 months use, especially since we only run average size loads. I hope that the drum replacement cures the problem, but now I am worried that this may be an ongoing problem that will be "out of warranty" next time it occurs. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it characteristic of this particular model or manufacturer? Could it have anything to do with residue acculmulating from the dryer sheets we routinely use? It really gripes me that an appliance this expensive is so poorly designed. The dryer it replaced was just a basic model, but it ran load after load (over 10 years) with no problems.

Reply to
taylorgk

Just keep on them about the repair and make sure they understand that the problem started with the dryer in warranty so no matter how long it takes they gotta fix it.

That's one expensive dryer. Got mine (20 year old Whirlpool) for $15 at Goodwill and it dries jeans like there's a sun inside of it.

Reply to
roger61611