Light in stairwell

I just moved into a new house in Ontario, Canada. I noticed that in my stairwell from the main floor to the basement there is no light. The only light is at the bottom of the stairwell about 1 foot from the first step. I talked to my builder and he says by code that's all that's required. The stairwell is very dark even with that light and that fact that its a 90 degree stairwell means that the top portion is almost totally dark even with the light on at the bottom.

Can someone clarify that the code states that no light is required in the stairwell ? Thanks.

Reply to
car crash

Can't confirm the code but it's your neck ,at $65 per outlet last time I had a house built it is well worth adding one now.

YMMV, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Its a finished basement..its going to cost a heck of a lot more than $65 to install an outlet and run the wire for a finished basement.

Rich wrote:

Reply to
car crash

Look at surface wiring one to the existing light. Wiremold makes strips that blend in very well. An electrician can fish the wires, but it will cost more than the $65 just to get him to walk through the door.

Your building inspector will confirm the code. My guess is that the builder is not only right, but a cheap SOB too or he would have put one where it makes sense, not just meets code.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I happen to have a copy of the 2006 CEC (note that the Ontario code which takes precedence may be different)

Luminaires in buildings of residential occupancy

[...]

Rule 30-504 Stairways

(1) Every stairway shall be lighted (2) Except as provided in Subrule (3), 3-way wall switches located at the head and foot of every stairway shall be provided to control at least one luminare for stairways with four or more risers in dwelling units. (3) The stairway lighting for basements that do not contain finished space nor lead to an outside entrance or built-in garage, and that serve not more than one dwelling unit, is permitted to be controlled by a single switch located at the head of the stairs. __

Subrule (1) seems to me to be open to a great deal of interpretation. You'd think it would read something like "lighted in its entirety".

Also ask yourself: looking at the floor-to-ceiling height of the landing, is a light located there likely to get broken when you move large furniture up or down the stairs?

Reply to
Chris B.

Reply to
buffalobill

It probably did meet code when it was built, and usually that's all that's needed to pass any sort of inspection. If it's anything like the unlit staircase at my house, I'd have to install a recessed unit or else I'd risk damaging it.

Reply to
scott21230

note its a brand new home..........

Reply to
hallerb

Then it will always be Christmas in your basement.

But make sure you have no unintended openings in your basement walls, etc. You may attract elves.

Reply to
mm

"claustrophobia" in not a fear of closets. It's a fear of Christmas.

Reply to
hah