dryer burning clothes

My clothes dryer regularly gets small pieces of clothing such as collar corners or waist band ties, and slippery pieces such as rayon overskirts and nylon slips caught in between the drum and the front of the dryer. This always results in a burned item. It also regularly snags bra hooks, zippers, and buttons in the same area, ripping them off or twisting to the point of being unusable. It may be perception but it seems this is increasing in frequency.

In looking online, and with extremely little knowledge about this, it seems this may be a problem with a front seal? The dryer is approx 3.5 years old, electric GE extra large capacity-model DVL223EAOWW. Is this a reasonable amount of time for this part to need to be replaced? Could it be something else? Is replacing the front seal, or other repair a possible DIY? No knowledge of appliance repair, but can follow instructions extremely well. :) Thanks!

Reply to
Melissa

I had a dryer just like that once. Used to eat my wifes bras all of the time. I located an mesh bag and put all of her unmentionables into the bag and then dryed with a load. Can not put more than 3-4 items in the bag at a time but it stopped the expendature at the lingrea store. Which I sort of miss, the modeling and all.

Something like this ad

Reply to
SQLit

Hi,

I believe that model# will be DVL223EA"0"WW

Without the ""

Your GE dryer was built by Frigidaire for GE.

This often induicates a worn drum support and the drum has shifted a bit and is now pinching the clothes.

Not overly common but happens.

Front upper felt glide pad with nylon glides, adhesive and instructions.

take apart helps.

jeff.

Reply to
Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks so much for both links! Does this part fix the problem of worn drum supports? I couldn't quite get that from the instructions, so wonder if that is a part that would eventually need to be replaced as well, and the parts you sent the link for effectively fill the gap, so to speak. In any case, I'll order the glide pad today.

Reply to
Melissa

Hi,

Yes.

It is a common wear part and is a common trouble maker for your complaint.

Yes. The front of the drum rides/glides/runs on the front drum support...as the support wears the drums drops and can pinch the clothes.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Sorry, missed replying to this post earlier. I tried the mesh bag, but it also got caught in the gap. With 4 daughters, we have so many slips, bras, and silky socks that they are forever getting tangled. The bag does help immensely when it's not getting burned itself. Thanks for the idea though. :)

Reply to
Melissa

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Received the dryer parts today, removed top and front of dryer, removed felt pads and last remaining glide (the other two had sort of disintegrated), and a plastic grocery sack full of lint, blech. Instructions say to remove all remaining old felt before gluing new pad in place. Any tips on getting the old felt off? I've been picking at it with pliers as it's too short to grab with my fingers. Going about as fast as cutting the lawn with a scissor. Should I keep at it this way, or is there some trick to get the old fuzz of felt off? Also, should I use as much glue as it seems was originally used? The tube is I'd guess about an ounce, seems a lot of for this job. The old pad was covered in orange dust, looks like rust. The old white lower felt pad is also somewhat orange from the dust, but looks sound otherwise. The inside of the rim of the drum has a rust looking spot as well. This is the only spot that looks like it could have been rusted, but the spot is smooth. I remember the pull of zipper that had been ripped off was stuck there for a couple of weeks before it fell out. Maybe that's what caused all this to begin with? I don't know how concerned I should be about this. The instructions said the paint on the rim where the felt pads are glued should have paint intact and be smooth. It's still smooth, but much of the paint is rubbed away. There are also two foam pads, on either side of the drum, attached to the inside sides of the dryer. I'd guess these sort of keep the drum in place, or quiet it? One side is perfectly white, the other has a orange burn or rust mark on it, and the drum leans on that pad. I can push the drum over to the other pad, but it settles right back against the one with the mark. Any more help you can provide would be so appreciated. I'm already feeling a bit of pride at being able to get this far. I'll keep picking at the felt for now. Thanks so much!

I posted a couple of pictures at alt.binaries.images if you could take a look, under the heading "inside dryer pictures", shows the leftover felt and the rust spot and spotted foam pad. Sorry about the photo size.

Reply to
Melissa

Nevermind about the how much glue, and getting off the rest of the old felt, I figured out I could scrape it without damaging the surface, and put on about as much glue as was already there. I went ahead and put it back together. It smelled like something was burning at first, but then I realized it was probably some of the dusty lint that got stirred up when I was sweeping/vacuuming it out. It went away quickly. It sounds good on the test run, so we'll see how it does on the first real load of laundry. Hopefully nothing else catches. Thanks again for all your help. If you have any input about the rust marks and the side foam pads, I'm still curious. Perhaps there is something else that still needs fixing?

Reply to
Melissa

Hi,

When the rear bearing wears and/or the front glides wear they often leave a coloured dusting on things....this is common. There often is shipping foam glued to the inside of the cabinet to prevent cabinet damage if the drum shifts during shipping or servicing.

Glad to hear you got somewhere with it :) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid