Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home made smoke machine?

I have seen people do it manually. They take a big puff on the cigar and blow into a piece of vacuum hose. It works okay if you have good enough side-lighting that you can see where the smoke is coming out.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

He and I have been over that, remember? But at least he pointed out that the engine wasn't running. Neither you nor the video I watched a couple months ago about how to built one's own mentioned that.

Reply to
micky

First lose the glow plug, more smoke = more surface area for the oil to cook on. I built a paint can unit as a demo, generates a LOT of smoke, more than my Snap-On unit does.

Used nichrome wire wrapped around fiberglass tiki wicks. Wound a total of 4 coils. Two are in series and then those are in parallel with the other 2, gives you a LOT of surface area and uses under 12 amps of 12 volt current.

Next a common propane regulator. You do not want high PSI in the system, REAL easy to damage parts that cannot handle pressure. The propane regulator can take 90-200 psi and drop it to under 1/2 psi (11-12 inches of water column, OEM smoke machine standard is no higher than 13 in/wc)

Made an air bar that puts the air out in a nice even ring.

Made a low pressure check valve on the output, that way you can shut down the machine with it attached and it won't pull fuel vapor back in.

And a flow meter and adjustable flow so you can tell what is actually going on.

Basically a home built version of a red line unit.

Reply to
Steve W.

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Yup

Reply to
Tekkie®

trader_4 posted for all of us...

D does not sound familiar but then again my memory is bad. I thought it started with a P and mutated.

Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com posted for all of us...

This mutant original poster (not you) doesn't do any research so when you used that word it is out of his league.

Reply to
Tekkie®