dishwasher problem

I just moved into a house with an older (probably 13 years) Sears Kenmore model 110753792 dishwasher. When I try using it, the detergent dispenser lid never opens. Am I doing something wrong or is it a fault of the machine?

Reply to
Alan

Alan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Unless you managed to block the dispenser with items loaded into the dishwasher, it's probably a faulty dispenser mechanism. They break or wear out for various reasons.

The simplest test would be to open it manually, if possible, and run a full cycle with the machine empty. Then run another cycle with detergent in the cup. Sometimes detergent will gum up the mechanism.

Reply to
Wayne

Hi,

Model# won't come up for me, Kenmore model#'s are more like

123.45678910 or 123 45678910

Kenmore is made by several different companies.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

That is exactly the way it appears on the dishwasher. It is Sears Canada, so that might explain the difference.

Reply to
Alan

Hi,

Canadian model numbers ( most, if almost not all ) for Sears are not online :(

Some soap dispensors are mechancial and some are electrical....something here may help depending on the style of dispensor and whom made the d/w for Sears.

Without being able to see the style of dispensor used it is difficult to ID what might be wrong, sorry!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks for the link. I was unable to match it up with any of the pictures. Maybe I should try to take the door apart to see what's in behind. I am hesitant to go to the expense of getting a Sears repairperson out here as I am not too sure if the dishwasher is worth too much. It definitely could use new racks as they are rusted and several tines broken off. Even if they were in good condition, they are poorly designed, making it difficult to fit anything in other than flat plates.

Reply to
Alan

You have little to lose if you can't fix it. A service call is probably $100. If you were to buy new rack, that would be $200 or so. Given the age, it is about time for it to die anyway.

If you can fix it cheap, great. If not, I'd think about a new and better model for little more than the cost of fixing this one. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I took off the inside door panel to find a sliding mechanism that releases the lid. It had a broken spring about 2" long. Not having a suitable replacement, I tried twisting the broken ends together and they appear to stay well enough. I put the panel back on and now turning the dial around releases the lid. Hopefully I can get a replacement spring, but sooner or later will get a new dishwasher. Thank you for your replies.

Reply to
Alan

I called Sears Canada. She seemed to know which spring I was talking about and the model number made sense to her. They are shipping a spring ($3) to the nearest Sears store.

Reply to
Alan

==== I had a similar problem with my Kenmore dishwasher. I started using Cascade Gel instead of powder and it dispensed OK in spite of the bad spring. I used it for about 5 years after that. ==== ====

Reply to
Gini

Since the spring was in two pieces, the lid would not even open. Now it opens when it should. I really don't think I will get new racks because of the poor design and will likely replace the whole dishwasher soon. At least it is usable in the meantime.

Reply to
Alan

Good catch on the spring!! :)

Thankx for the update!!