Dishwasher

Group:

We've recently bought a house with an old (>20 years) dishwasher. We've noticed that we are getting brown stains on crockery and cutlery which have been washed in the dishwasher. These simply won't rub off - any idea what they are, how to prevent them and how to remove them. We've trying rubbing the stains with vinegar to no avail.

Thanks

Den

Reply to
Den

Is the inside of your dishwasher stained? Is the inside plastic or stainless steel. Do you use powder or liquid dishwasher soap?

Reply to
Art

Is the rack inside made of steel wire covered in plastic? Sometimes the plastic cracks and the steel inside rusts producing brown stains like you have seen.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

I think it could be anything from the detergent/no-spot solution you are using to needing a water softener. Suggest having your water tested to see if yuou need a softener, esp if it's water from a deep well. City water's not like that; assume detergent, somethinbg local if it's municipal water.

dishwasher. We've

cutlery which have

off - any idea what

We've trying rubbing

Reply to
Pop Rivet

The inside and wire baskets are plastic. Using dishwasher power.

Cheers

Den

Reply to
Den

Hi,

Some -stuff- that may help....

Specifically designed to clean dishwashers of lime scale, iron and soap scum buildup, safely and effectively.

remover for washing machines and dishwashers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Consumer Reports recommends Cascade Complete powder. If that doesn't work and the inside of the dishwasher isn't stained you probably need a better dishwasher. If it is stained you probably be better off looking into your water supply if it is a well.

Reply to
Art

Den wrote

I don't know about the crockery unless the stains are from rust on the rack where the vinyl coating has worn off or something elsewhere in the dishwasher rusting. The stains on the cutlery could be from electrolysis if you have been washing metal items made from differing material together in a manner which allows them to touch.

Make sure cutlery made from different metals do not touch during a wash. I don't think there is any way to correct the damage once it has been done beside having them plated.

If the racks are rusting and they're not too far gone yet, you can get rack touch for them. You can read about that at the following link:

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~